Poll: Grading Elias' Tenure Thus Far

Greg Pappas

How would you grade Elias' tenure thus far?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. How would you grade Elias' tenure thus far?

Let's look back in O's history. They have had some very good Baseball Exec's that could never get anything done thanks to the Owner. Correct? If a new guy, Elias, comes in he knows this. They say he has total control and there is money to cover everything.That's what was said at the press conference. Well, the MASN issue, money, hasn't been solved. The Davis issue, money, hasn't been solved. The way they have handled Marketing has been terrible. So you can believe what you want but it looks like the same crap to me.

53 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

Let's look back in O's history. They have had some very good Baseball Exec's that could never get anything done thanks to the Owner. Correct? If a new guy, Elias, comes in he knows this. They say he has total control and there is money to cover everything.That's what was said at the press conference. Well, the MASN issue, money, hasn't been solved. The Davis issue, money, hasn't been solved. The way they have handled Marketing has been terrible. So you can believe what you want but it looks like the same crap to me.

There are very clear differences than before.  Most notably, that in 1998-2011 and even after that they never actually rebuilt.  They never started to rebuild.  The closest they came was trading Erik Bedard.  Today they're clearly tearing it down with the intent of changing their fundamental philosophy and rebuilding. 

42 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

The more I think about it they all get an F. From Ownership down. 

What would've garnered an A in your book? The previous regime left the O's in as bad a condition you could possibly leave it. It's bizarre to me that he doesn't even get a C for building up an analytics department from basically nothing as well as an actually functionally international scouting presence. These are things that even the bad franchises had and the Os did not.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Satyr3206 said:

You're basing your grade of Elias in part on "the MASN issue"?

On 2/1/2020 at 9:39 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

There are very clear differences than before.  Most notably, that in 1998-2011 and even after that they never actually rebuilt.  They never started to rebuild.  The closest they came was trading Erik Bedard.  Today they're clearly tearing it down with the intent of changing their fundamental philosophy and rebuilding. 

On the drafting and player side I might agree. On the Ownership and business side I totally disagree. If you want to move a Franchise forward you have to address all issues. There are numerous things with the Orioles that haven't been addressed. The common denominator is the Owners. If you want to run a ML Team then ask the hard questions and get authority to deal with the problems.Elias should have asked these questions and gotten authority to handle them.  With the Orioles no one ever gets this authority and things drag out for years and years.

On 2/1/2020 at 9:43 AM, LTO's said:

What would've garnered an A in your book? The previous regime left the O's in as bad a condition you could possibly leave it. It's bizarre to me that he doesn't even get a C for building up an analytics department from basically nothing as well as an actually functionally international scouting presence. These are things that even the bad franchises had and the Os did not.

In my life the Hoffberger/ Cashen team. The Atlanta Braves during the 90's. Hank Peters was a good GM hamstrung by Ownership.Oh and btw Analytics are nothing but stats. You can not build a Franchise based solely on that.

17 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

In my life the Hoffberger/ Cashen team. The Atlanta Braves during the 90's. Hank Peters was a good GM hamstrung by Ownership.Oh and btw Analytics are nothing but stats. You can not build a Franchise based solely on that.

I forgot Branch Rickey.

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What if the Governor or President does a poor job handling the hurricane?  Should we just shrug it off?

What exactly should Elias be doing to handle the MASN situation?  Should he be taking night school law classes to go inject himself into the legal process?  Should he be going on undercover missions to DC to try to get the Nats to give up their case?  This is an issue that has nothing to do with Elias' area of responsibility.  If it turns out in the O's favor and you give him a gold star for it, you're giving gold stars to the rooster for making the sun come up.

42 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That's like giving the President or the Governor a poor grade because a hurricane happened.

Actually, a more apt comparison would be failing the Mayor or Governor for funding, planning and building a white elephant convention center and architecturally deficient hotel which actually permanently detract from “the ballpark that forever changed baseball”.

Plus the MASN litigation is not in the GM’s realm, it’s not like he can come in and say “I know a better team of lawyers to handle this, let me get rid of yours”.