Poll: Grading Elias' Tenure Thus Far

Greg Pappas

How would you grade Elias' tenure thus far?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. How would you grade Elias' tenure thus far?

5 hours ago, scOtt said:

Mike doesn't control that. This is grade Elias, not grade the Bros. I'd give them about a C+/B-.

But if the Orioles get good over the next few years,the Angelos Bros. would have to increase spending. Houston traded for very expensive pitchers over the last few years to be the final pieces in a championship caliber team.We shall see if the Orioles would be on board with a significant salary jump to get to the highest level. 

12 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

How can anyone say that 2019 was a good or great draft right now?

You grade them on the reasonableness of the picks. Whether or not they become solid major leaguers is a combination of development and luck, which has nothing to do with drafting.  

Example: you can grade the Orioles' 2009 draft poorly since they took Hobgood at #5 when the consensus was that he was more like a #20-30 pick.

• Upvote 2

The one thing he's done that I have an issue with is not promoting Mountcastle in September in what appears to be a bid to manipulate his service time.

I think that when you look at a player like Mountcastle the possible benefits to his development outweigh the advantage of a potential seventh year of team control.

International spending and drafts have been good, but others mentioned that.

I like the addition of guys that are installed to teach certain lessons THROUGHOUT the minors.  The programs are synced and we saw a jump in minor league rankings last year, obviously Rutschman was a big part of the jump.  However, there were a lot of guys that had solid years and I think that had to do with development. 

Like all other areas, probably to soon to tell.  But the idea/approach to develop is also one that makes sense to me.

As much as it's painful and at times no fun to watch, he has done exactly what he said he would for the ML roster.  Low cost, mild upside players or lottery tickets.  As much as the team isn't good, it's part of the overhaul that was needed.  I can't lower a grade for him based on that. 

The structure was step 1 and I do think he has done a lot of work in the year+ he's been in charge.

• Upvote 2

Didn't give a grade because the actions that he's taken won't bear fruit for a few years.  The one action that he hasn't taken leaves me disappointed that I have to watch any Davis at bats.  Any.  At all.  But, I'm resigned to it.  I'm hoping to see players - prospects - that Dan Duquette acquired begin to move up and maybe even onto the Major League roster.  Hays for (hopefully) a full season, and at some point Mountcastle, Akin, Kremer, Diaz, Zimmerman, Baughman, Wells, etc..  And, I'll eagerly watch the minors for progress by last years draftees.

31 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Didn't give a grade because the actions that he's taken won't bear fruit for a few years.  The one action that he hasn't taken leaves me disappointed that I have to watch any Davis at bats.  Any.  At all.  But, I'm resigned to it.  I'm hoping to see players - prospects - that Dan Duquette acquired begin to move up and maybe even onto the Major League roster.  Hays for (hopefully) a full season, and at some point Mountcastle, Akin, Kremer, Diaz, Zimmerman, Baughman, Wells, etc..  And, I'll eagerly watch the minors for progress by last years draftees.

Do you honestly feel Elias is the one keeping Davis on board?