Passan: Betts and Price to Dodgers

Can_of_corn

13 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

I almost feel like the Red Sox want this whole thing to fall through bc they took so much heat and bad press.  That was probably too much negativity for them to handle, so now I can see them keeping him just so their fans don’t keep crushing them.  

I think it is very possible ownership didn't like the fan reaction and killed the deal. 

• 2 weeks later...

MLBTR

Joel Sherman of the New York Post has reported that Betts turned down an eight-year, $200MM extension offer from the Red Sox after the 2017 season, while WEEI’s Lou Merloni says Boston offered a contract in the “ten year, $300MM range” fresh off Betts’ 2018 MVP campaign.  According to Merloni, Betts’ camp countered at 12 years, $420MM.  I know there’s an undercurrent that Betts’ reported counteroffer is ridiculous, but in reality, it reflects his market value.  He would be justified in seeking an AAV north of Anthony Rendon’s $35MM, and a term no shorter than the 10+ years achieved by Trout, Harper, Machado, Giancarlo Stanton, Albert Pujols, Robinson Cano, and Joey Votto.

1 hour ago, weams said:

MLBTR

If the contract had started in 2019 (Betts’ age 26 season) and continued though 2030 (his age 37 season), you could make a straight-faced argument for 12/$420 mm, though I’d still say that’s a significant overpay.    He certainly won’t get 12/$420 when he becomes a free agent.    Such a contract would cover his ages 28-39 seasons, and there’s just too many older years packed in there.     

• 5 months later...
49 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Betta and Dodgers are closing in on a long term extension.

380M!!!

According to WEEI's Lou Merloni, the Dodgers are closing in on a long-term contract extension with Mookie Betts.

ESPN's Jeff Passan hears that the new deal will keep Betts in a Dodgers uniform for 13 years -- including the 2020 campaign -- at more than $380 million in total salary. This is an odd economic landscape for a team to be making that kind of financial commitment to a single player, but the Dodgers didn't want to let Betts get away after acquiring him from the Red Sox this winter for outfielder Alex Verdugo and two prospects. Betts, 27, had been scheduled to become a free agent in November. He is currently going fifth overall in the average Yahoo draft after batting .295/.391/.524 with 29 home runs, 80 RBI, 16 stolen bases, and 135 runs scored in 150 games last season with Boston. He was named the American League MVP in 2018.

https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/mlb/player/20029/mookie-betts

• Upvote 1

How on God's green earth does $380M make business sense at this point in time. I think these contracts are absolutely ludicrous from a business perspective. Obviously, I know nothing.

I think, not sure, that the people who run the Dodgers and other organizations say to themselves, "in 10 years time, we'll have more revenue streams. We'll push the cost even further down the road." I just do not understand how this could possibly make sense business wise. But these contracts keep getting done (thinking of Manny last year) so I clearly know nothing. 

Congrats to Mookie. That is one whale of contract! 

On 2/5/2020 at 2:34 PM, Frobby said:

You can argue that Betts is the second best player in the game, behind Trout.   But it’s a pretty distant second.    If Trout is commanding 12/$430 and Harper is commanding 13/$330, then I’d say 12/$360 or so is about what Betts is worth, assuming he puts up a typical Betts year in 2020.    He’s better than Harper but will be two years older than Harper was when he was a free agent (and a year older than Trout was when he signed his extension.    He’s not going to get the 12/$420 mm he demanded from the Red Sox, but I do think he lands north of $300 mm.

I’m so good at this....12/$365 mm, apparently    

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29517069/sources-mookie-betts-dodgers-long-term-contract

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Good, they should use this season to really hammer that type of behavior.

I can’t agree.  I watched that game live and watched all the pitches leading up to both the pitch to Bregman and the Correa strikeout.  I’m not convinced that he was throwing at them.  Kelly throws hard and is wild.  He had plenty of opportunities to plunk an Astro if that was his intention.

The Astros have a target for cheating.  Now if anyone comes inside they’ll get an equivalent to a 20+ game suspension?

I’m against using beanballs as revenge, it shouldn’t be part of the game.  But I also don’t like umps and the discipline folks try to interpret intent.  That’s when you get Gausman ejected for throwing a breaking ball.

• Upvote 1