Hunter Harvey 2020

Frobby

1 hour ago, TommyPickles said:

Givens in save situations last year: 26 games, 5.90 ERA 

I think Harvey could get a shot at some saves. 

Yeah, but not all of those save situations were in the 9th inning.  I think any appearance after 6 innings with a lead is considered a save situation.  Givens probably pitched in 75% of the games where we had a lead in that situation last year.  So that would be against the toughest part of the lineups, with any run given up likely resulting in a blown save.  

I don't think Hyde would do this, but it wouldn't be the worst for the orgs future if Givens was "protected" a bit this upcoming season.  You don't have to coddle him, but at the same time, don't run him out there in a "fire stopper" role.  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yeah, but not all of those save situations were in the 9th inning.  I think any appearance after 6 innings with a lead is considered a save situation.  Givens probably pitched in 75% of the games where we had a lead in that situation last year.  So that would be against the toughest part of the lineups, with any run given up likely resulting in a blown save.  

I don't think Hyde would do this, but it wouldn't be the worst for the orgs future if Givens was "protected" a bit this upcoming season.  You don't have to coddle him, but at the same time, don't run him out there in a "fire stopper" role.  

Givens saved 11 and blew 8, so at least 7 of the save situations must have been before the 9th inning.   Looking at his 8 blown saves, 5 were in games he entered before the 9th.    Of his 11 saves, 6 were in games where he entered before the 9th.   So Givens really wasn’t used as a traditional closer very often.    

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Givens saved 11 and blew 8, so at least 7 of the save situations must have been before the 9th inning.   Looking at his 8 blown saves, 5 were in games he entered before the 9th.    Of his 11 saves, 6 were in games where he entered before the 9th.   So Givens really wasn’t used as a traditional closer very often.    

I think Givens might have been thrown off a bit by the way Hyde used him last year. I like Hyde putting him in at high leverage situations, but my gut tells me Givens might be a guy who likes a set role, like "set up guy". 

Or - that could just be a bunk theory. 

But Givens was much better outside of the 9th inning last year, for whatever reason. He'll be interesting to watch this year. His career high 12.3 K/9 bodes well IMO. 

For perhaps a personal best in strenuous cherry picking, Harvey was a Top 15 AL reliever in K% from his 8/17 debut onwards.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=al&qual=0&type=1&season=2019&month=1000&season1=2019&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2019-08-17&enddate=2019-12-31&sort=7,d

It is a nice list of names he mixed in with for 6 innings.  Here are my A, B and C goals entering the year:

-can you not hurt yourself for 5 innings?

-can you not hurt yourself for 10 innings?

-can you not hurt yourself for 25 innings?

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Frobby said:

Here’s the OH writeup on Harvey, by the way:   https://www.orioleshangout.com/2019/11/08/orioles-10-prospect-hunter-harvey-rhp/   OH ranked him 10th.

Unlike Fangraphs, which seems to think Harvey is who he is at this point, OH puts his future grades a half-grade above his present ones in most instances, including command.   

While age would normally indicate he is what he is command wise, his lack of innings is why we think it can improve some still. I have a hard time thinking there are 19 better prospects in the system than a guy who can touch 100 MPH and has already shown he can get big league batters out.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

While age would normally indicate he is what he is command wise, his lack of innings is why we think it can improve some still. I have a hard time thinking there are 19 better prospects in the system than a guy who can touch 100 MPH and has already shown he can get big league batters out.

I agree with you there, Tony.    The only reason to put Harvey that low is if you’re extremely concerned about the injury risk and are taking that into account in grading the prospect.    

On 2/5/2020 at 6:06 PM, Frobby said:

What do you think we’ll see from Harvey this year?

Lots and lots of 100s.

It's true: I am higher on HH than many on OH. I will even go so far as to predict that I think we'll see Harvey healthy all season.

That sound you just heard was my knuckles hitting a wooden table, btw.

5 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Lots and lots of 100s.

It's true: I am higher on HH than many on OH. I will even go so far as to predict that I think we'll see Harvey healthy all season.

That sound you just heard was my knuckles hitting a wooden table, btw.

Mine too. Literally.

• 5 months later...
37 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

I think that by this year he will have  made the mind change from a SP to a Reliever.  That had to have been a big deal, mentally as well as physically.    But with his pedigree, I am pulling for him.  

I think that switch was made easier by his dad being a successful reliever for years. JMO