JJ Hardy is back!

eddie83

That makes a lot of sense considering that Elias really values shortstops and JJ is someone who experienced the playoffs with the O's and isn't too far from the guys in age. It's weird talking about Hardy in the past tense like this though. I liked JJ. I give Buck and Duquette their due but Andy MacPhail made some shrewd trades Brett Jacobson and Jim Hoey for Hardy and Brendan Harris was one of those. Plus you had to like JJ the man himself. Great move on the FO's part to bring back some old names that the guys who would know.

8 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

That makes a lot of sense considering that Elias really values shortstops and JJ is someone who experienced the playoffs with the O's and isn't too far from the guys in age. It's weird talking about Hardy in the past tense like this though. I liked JJ. I give Buck and Duquette their due but Andy MacPhail made some shrewd trades Brett Jacobson and Jim Hoey for Hardy and Brendan Harris was one of those. Plus you had to like JJ the man himself. Great move on the FO's part to bring back some old names that the guys who would know.

And their due includes signing JJ to that second extension.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And their due includes signing JJ to that second extension.

I'm not saying that tehy didn't make mistakes Corn but a single  person that was responsible for the 2012-16 run. Yeah the Hardy extension was a mistake but trading for him originally was not. I was just saying that I think MacPhail by trading for Hardy deserves credit because the two guys we traded him for were relievers. Hardy gave us some good years. I'll be the first to agree with you that the extension was a mistake. There were a lot of mistakes made then which is why we are where we are.

23 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

I'm not saying that tehy didn't make mistakes Corn but a single  person that was responsible for the 2012-16 run. Yeah the Hardy extension was a mistake but trading for him originally was not. I was just saying that I think MacPhail by trading for Hardy deserves credit because the two guys we traded him for were relievers. Hardy gave us some good years. I'll be the first to agree with you that the extension was a mistake. There were a lot of mistakes made then which is why we are where we are.

Not only was the trade brilliant, the first extension (also by MacPhail) was equally brilliant.    I favored the second extension (by Duquette) too, and that didn’t work out but I still feel it was the right call at the time.    

On 2/14/2020 at 10:23 AM, eddie83 said:

More info. McGregor and Bordick are already there. 

From Conine’s interview yesterday:

“You know what? I loved Baltimore,” he said. “I remember every time we broke camp and we’d go up, right before opening day, we went to the ballpark and set up the lockers. I remember going out at night and looking at Camden Yards with my dress clothes that I had worn up from spring training, and just a happy place. I really enjoyed all my time in Baltimore.

“Those days, getting to play with Cal (Ripken) and Brady (Anderson) and Mike (Bordick) and B-Rob (Brian Roberts) and all those guys, it was a fun time for me and we had great teams and a great atmosphere at Camden Yards. When anybody ever asks me my favorite place I ever played, I always say that. I say Camden Yards is my favorite.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/02/sisco-on-revamped-hitting-approach-conine-on-new-role-with-orioles.html

Great atmosphere at Camden Yards?    Sure.    “We had great teams?”    Not so much.   78, 74, 63, 67, 71 and 70 wins in 1999-2003 and 2006, Conine’s years with the team.    But he was a solid ballplayer.   

• 2 weeks later...