Hyde on David Hess' improvement

wildcard

1 hour ago, Eric-OH said:

I’m in absolute lockstep with this.

When I listened again to Hyde on Hess, the last 4 words stood out more and more....’next five, six weeks’.  Maybe I’m reading too much into it but it spoke to Hess’ audition type opportunity in Sarasota. 

Also, Hyde was asked about him and his swingman role potential specifically and that’s why he was the subject.  Otherwise I don’t think he’s discussed.  

I agree. Basically it's Hyde saying he appreciates all the work he did but it's time to show it on the field during spring training.

• Like 2

I like Hess.  2019 was obviously a lost year for him but certainly no reason to write him off as some are suggesting.

2018 saw a lot of success for Hess.  He went out and put up 80binnings of really good mid 3.00 ERA stuff.  Showed strong ground ball tendencies, and to his credit actually got better the second time through the order which is no easy feat.  He actually get better with men on base too.  Again a solid quality to have.

That third time though, those 20 innings were a nightmare for him. That trend continued last year through every situation.

The great thing for Hess is that its not a velocity issue for him, he works around an average of 93 mph with his FB and that should be good.  We saw what Means was able to accomplish at that speed.

If he can make some of his secondary pitches work better for him I think you could see a guy who grabs the 4-5 rotation spot and puts up a 3.80-4.00 ERA.  And I fully expect the Orioles to give him that opportunity because they, unlike a lot of fans, understand development takes years.

5 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I like Hess.  2019 was obviously a lost year for him but certainly no reason to write him off as some are suggesting.

2018 saw a lot of success for Hess.  He went out and put up 80binnings of really good mid 3.00 ERA stuff.  Showed strong ground ball tendencies, and to his credit actually got better the second time through the order which is no easy feat.  He actually get better with men on base too.  Again a solid quality to have.

That third time though, those 20 innings were a nightmare for him. That trend continued last year through every situation.

The great thing for Hess is that its not a velocity issue for him, he works around an average of 93 mph with his FB and that should be good.  We saw what Means was able to accomplish at that speed.

If he can make some of his secondary pitches work better for him I think you could see a guy who grabs the 4-5 rotation spot and puts up a 3.80-4.00 ERA.  And I fully expect the Orioles to give him that opportunity because they, unlike a lot of fans, understand development takes years.

If Hess puts up a 3.80-4.00 ERA he will not be a 4 or 5.  He would probably be the O's #2.

2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Good post and you make several good points.

22 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Preseason fluff piece.  If I had a dime for every article written like this about a guy who was terrible the season before and looks good in a bullpen session the following spring, I'd be on a tropical island somewhere and retired.

The ball looks good coming out of his hand!

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Preseason fluff piece.  If I had a dime for every article written like this about a guy who was terrible the season before and looks good in a bullpen session the following spring, I'd be on a tropical island somewhere and retired.

But... but... he's in the best shape of his life!  And apparently so are his pitches!

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The ball looks good coming out of his hand!

I just made a list of players with 100-300 innings and a 5.50+ ERA through age 25, just like Hess.  179 names popped up, and at least 3-4 of them had MLB careers like Cal McLish and Ted Abernathy.  And Dana Eveland.  So I'm saying there's a chance.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

throw 9 pitchers every game. Groom them for 1 inning every other day.  When they arent pitching putting at SS. :)

?

From the dawn of time until today there has been a steady shift in pitcher workloads because, as far as we can tell, the shorter the outing the better the pitcher.  If you had 50-man rosters nobody would throw to more than three batters.  With 26-man rosters you could probably still work out a way to have nobody ever go through the lineup more than once.