Keith Law top 100 prospect list

MurphDogg

Keith Law's top 100 prospect list was published today at The Athletic.

10. Adley Rutschman

50. DL Hall

60. Grayson Rodriguez

It doesn't sound like Law is down on Rutschman, he just seems to value guys that have proven it in the upper levels of the minors more highly. I am including partial blurbs on each player, there is more in the article.

On Rutschman:

There’s some length to his right-handed swing, but left-handed it’s clean and short and looks like it will continue to produce power with the wood bat. He had some minor shoulder soreness in college that could slow him down. But otherwise there isn’t much reason to think he won’t become at least an everyday catcher thanks to the power and the catch-and-throw skills, with MVP upside if he hits for enough average.

On Hall:

If you saw the stat line, you might think he had some awful delivery or was the left-handed Nick Neugebauer, but he’s athletic, his delivery works, and he has the pure stuff to be at least a No. 2 starter. If and when he learns to measure his tempo and repeat that delivery, he’ll throw more strikes and approach that ceiling.

On Rodriguez:

His delivery, however, is very stiff and abrupt, with a big pause that cuts down on how much he can use his legs and a little bit of cross-body action because of where he lands. His command and control are about where you’d expect a 19-year-old pitcher’s to be, maybe a little ahead of that, and if he just gets those to average he’s going to be a capable major-league starter. A tighter curveball and progress with his changeup would get him to a No. 2.

I'm disappointed that Law doesn't recognize the Ruthian power that Mountcastle possess.  The eye of Ted Williams.  The contact skills of Tony Gwynn.  

The defensive prowess of...um....Dave Kingman?  Adam Dunn?  Jose Canseco?  Manny Ramirez?  

Whatever.  It's a travashamockery that MOUNTCASTLE is not on this list.  

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I can see omitting Mountcastle.  He's a RH bat that doesn't currently have a defensive position and has plate discipline concerns.

How valuable is he as a DH that has a 310 OBP?

I can see omitting him too, and Law is not the only one who did.    Still, there’s a reasonable chance that Mountcastle will prove them very wrong, and I hope he does.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I can see omitting him too, and Law is not the only one who did.    Still, there’s a reasonable chance that Mountcastle will prove them very wrong, and I hope he does.  

Sure, I'm on the bandwagon.  I just don't like the apparent service games for a borderline top 100 guy.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, I'm on the bandwagon.  I just don't like the apparent service games for a borderline top 100 guy.

Well, we’ve been around and around on that one many times.    Let’s just say that I hope Mountcastle plays well enough on both sides of the ball this spring to prove that he deserves to make the team.