When Will the 2020 MLB Season Begin? (Poll)

24fps

Start of the 2020 Season  

149 members have voted

1. 1. When will the 2020 season begin?

• Sometime in April
    • Sometime in May
    • Sometime in June
    • Sometime in July
    • No 2020 Season at All

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/20 at 04:59

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's a terrible idea.  You can't have these guys cram a bunch of games in and play into December or January and then give them a month and a half off and ramp up spring training in mid-February.  

I want sports back as much as anyone else but I'm suspect that this is going to be a race between the MLB and the NBA to figure out who can be the first to have a completely captive audience.  Which could be a pretty bad idea if you've got a bunch of athletes that are a bit rusty all of a sudden trying to compete at a high level.

This all said, I don't think there's much to speculate on.  I'm thinking the NBA loses the rest of their season and there's no baseball season at all.  This whole pandemic is still on the upswing, there's no telling how long it could last.

The southern hemisphere suggestion was definitely tongue-in-cheek, but Rob Manfred is a big one for "creative" ideas is he not?   

I see nothing heretical about a neutral site for the WS or playing games in December in a warmer location under exceptional circumstances.  When I started this thread two weeks ago I put the over/under at 95 games. That now seems a little optimistic, but a half-season doesn't - at least not yet to me.  No season at all is certainly still a possibility, but color me completely unsympathetic to the notion that a 6-7 week hiatus after a shortened season is not enough time off.

1 hour ago, MongoBoy said:

And what if someone does not want to be tested?  They gonna be forced?

Shot or eaten by a crocodile. 

I know it is a gator. 

Image result for hanna barbare cartoon alligator

A man got eaten by a crocodile after breaching lockdown protocols to allegedly go fishing, while two other violators were killed by police in the East African country of Rwanda.

Read more: https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1248888/east-african-who-breached-lockdown-eaten-by-crocodile-2-others-shot-by-police#ixzz6HoSxHO44

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

FDR certainly thought it was important.

That is why we had a one armed batter and almost all the good players were in the military. Sure let the people who are physically unable to help the cause  play baseball.  But able bodied players should be volunteering to help as they aren't doing anything anyway.

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

That is why we had a one armed batter and almost all the good players were in the military. Sure let the people who are physically unable to help the cause  play baseball.  But able bodied players should be volunteering to help as they aren't doing anything anyway.

Here I thought able bodied persons should be self quarantining while letting the actual experts work on the problems. 

Well, I think it's done.  There are several things they just can't anticipate.  Schools are now on a "30 day break and reassess" regimen.  I think that's appropriate, but the school year only holds so many more of those 30-day re-aval's.  The same is true of all of the sports.

The other thing to consider is whether this is "seasonal" or not.  If it's not and MLB gets on the field and a player gets the virus, that quarantines probably two to six teams for two weeks at a minimum.  You can't shut down 1/8 or greater of the teams and expect to have a season in any traditional sense.

I think it's over.  It sucks, but barring the quickest vaccine in history we're going to be living in uncertainty for quite a while.  Our trajectory is still up.  Nothing is going back to normal before that changes.

Edited by drjohnnyfeva

2 hours ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

That was my immediate reaction too - but the more I read, the more it seems a large number of players are in FAVOR of doubleheaders. They want the stats.

When Manfred is saying ramp up in mid-May, that means "Spring Training." So, a month to get ready - then you're starting Regular Season games in June. That's the best case scenario at this point. I'm by no means an expert, but the more I've been reading, I'm cautiously optimistic that is do-able.

I can see that, especially the players that are on contract years.  

I agree with your best case scenario, too.

2 hours ago, 24fps said:

The southern hemisphere suggestion was definitely tongue-in-cheek, but Rob Manfred is a big one for "creative" ideas is he not?   

I see nothing heretical about a neutral site for the WS or playing games in December in a warmer location under exceptional circumstances.  When I started this thread two weeks ago I put the over/under at 95 games. That now seems a little optimistic, but a half-season doesn't - at least not yet to me.  No season at all is certainly still a possibility, but color me completely unsympathetic to the notion that a 6-7 week hiatus after a shortened season is not enough time off.

I'd be fine about a warm weather/neutral site World Series in December.  It's the idea that they'd have to start another season so quickly that's my concern.  If they played into December this year I think we might be looking at a reduced 2021 season, too.  

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

I am definitely against a neutral site World Series. Part of what makes October baseball so great is the atmosphere. Just play as many games as you can and what happens, happens. 

Wouldn't it be great to watch an A's/Braves world series played in from of 10K fans in Miami?

Here I thought able bodied persons should be self quarantining while letting the actual experts work on the problems. 

That is now.  Wait a month.  They will need able bodied people to keep the country going.   

• Downvote 1

Wouldn't it be great to watch an A's/Braves world series played in from of 10K fans in Miami?

I think Miami and Tampa would be two places where I'd be like....yeah, nah.  No, really, the Twins are happy to host their games in a December World Series.

It'd have to be San Diego or something.  

• Upvote 1