Poll: Who would YOU take if you could select any prospect at pick #2?

Who do you want the O's to draft, if all prospects were available?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want the O's to draft, if all prospects were available?

• 1B-Spencer Torkelson
    • Inf-OF Austin Martin
    • LHP-Asa Lacy
    • RHP-Emerson Hancock
    • OF-Zac Veen
    • 2B-Nick Gonzalez
    • Someone else.

I like Tork and Martin above anyone else. I want a bat in large part because I think it's safer than pitching.  I feel both of these guys are going to be good.  

I am not sure that Tork is limited athletically or limited to first base either.  His coach and an anonymous scout think he's playing first in large part because of outstanding athletes playing elsewhere on his college team.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2020/05/21/potential-detroit-tigers-pick-spencer-torkelson-packs-more-than-just-powerful-punch/5236418002/?utm_source=oembed&utm_medium=onsite&utm_campaign=storylines&utm_content=news&utm_term=5263698002

His batting eye and in game power are rare.  His defensive ability is possibly better than a right handed first baseman.

Martin is a close second for me.  I want one of these two guys.

• Upvote 2

From 2000 - 2016, there have been 17 college bats taken in the first 5 selections.   Only 2 of them did not play in the majors,  Matt Clement and Tony Sanchez.  So 15 out of 17 made it= 88%.   Of the 15, 13 have been quality players sands Ackley and Zunino.  So with  a 13/17 = 76%, the hit rate is far above any other type of selection ( hs- p,h or col- p).  With this empirical data, imho the O’s should select either Torkelson or Martin who both have a 60 hit rating.

Edited by WI O’s Fan
  • Upvote 2

Data

2000 none

2001 Teixeira
2002 none
2003 Weeks
2004 none
2005 Gordon, Clement, Zimmerman, Braun
2006. Longoria
2007 Wieters
2008 Alvarez, Posey
2009 Ackley, Sanchez
2010 none
2011 none
2012 Zunino
2013 Bryant
2014 schwarber
2015 Swanson, Bregman
2016 Senzel, Ray
2017 none

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, WI O’s Fan said:

From 2000 - 2016, there have been 17 college bats taken in the first 5 selections.   Only 2 of them did not play in the majors,  Matt Clement and Tony Sanchez.  So 15 out of 17 made it= 88%.   Of the 15, 13 have been quality players sands Ackley and Zunino.  So with  a 13/17 = 76%, the hit rate is far above any other type of selection ( hs- p,h or col- p).  With this empirical data, imho the O’s should select either Torkelson or Martin who both have a 60 hit rating.

Tony Sanchez was the catcher taken by the Pirates right?  He played in the majors but was a bust.