Poll: Who would YOU take if you could select any prospect at pick #2?

Who do you want the O's to draft, if all prospects were available?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want the O's to draft, if all prospects were available?

• 1B-Spencer Torkelson
    • Inf-OF Austin Martin
    • LHP-Asa Lacy
    • RHP-Emerson Hancock
    • OF-Zac Veen
    • 2B-Nick Gonzalez
    • Someone else.

It's not set it stone who the Tigers take at one, though most feel Tork will be the choice. But I'm curious that if it played out the way you wished, which prospect do you want to see the O's have available to them AND take at overall pick #2?
Again, do not project who you think may go #1... it doesn't matter. Who do you most want to see the O's draft?

It's funny, but I was laying in bed thinking about this.  As I said, I voted for Tork by the closest of margins, but wish I could split my vote. LOL! 1/2 to Tork, 1/2 to Martin. :P

I see Martin developing into a solid 2B, with lead-off capabilities. This would be due to his solid speed, elite batting average, and on base percentage (OBP). I'd think we could see a slash that looks like 300+/400/450/850, with perhaps 10-15 HR, and maybe 15 SB. Most here get the slash, but for those unfamiliar, it means a .320 batting average/400 OBP/450 slugging percentage/850 OPS (OBP + Slugging).

Tork I think will be an outstanding defensive 1B, who will slot into the fourth spot.  He'll likely tally 30+ HR's and well over 100 RBI. His slash will possibly look like this: 280/350/550/900. 

As I've said, either would be great!

I picked Martin for the many reasons we all know. But Lacy would be just fine with me. He needs development to smooth out some things, but he looks the part of a TOR starter. He is a winner on the mound.

Hancock does not miss bats as much as I would like. Not sure if that is something that can be a product of sequencing or other adjustments. I do not love his delivery either. 

Zac Veen is interesting to me. Talented young OF, and the same HS as Austin Hays. Could be a way for the O’s to save some money for #30 and #39. I want Martin or Lacy, but I can see this scenario if it helps sign a guy like Bitsko. Too much risk for me under the circumstances that surround the Orioles.

Jammer, good to have you active during the draft.  

I do like the Veen write-ups I have read.  Very strong.  The question I have is how much $ is Bitsko looking for.  Is he looking for $3.5M-$4M - which would mean he is nearly unsignable once he gets past the first 15 -20 picks?  Would he really turn down the Os slot of $2.4M as the first pick of the supplemental first round to go to college?  What is Ginn's number?  

I wouldn't mind trying to save $ at 1:2 and to spend the savings with our third round pick to sign a kid for $1.5M.  That would give us four guys drafted and signed at $1.5M and above.  

I note the two HSers the Os took in the first five rounds last year were young for the class.  This year, the younger HS seniors include Jordan Walker - who could be a strong candidate for our 30th pick - and Petey Halpin - who might be a small reach at 39, but doesn't seem likely to be available at 74.  Would one then lean toward Lacy instead of Martin if our targets at 30/39 were Walker/Halpin?  Most of those three would presumably be done at slot or below based on rankings - though I have seen Halpin drafted earlier than his current MLB ranking in several mocks.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hoosiers said:

Jammer, good to have you active during the draft.  

I do like the Veen write-ups I have read.  Very strong.  The question I have is how much $ is Bitsko looking for.  Is he looking for $3.5M-$4M - which would mean he is nearly unsignable once he gets past the first 15 -20 picks?  Would he really turn down the Os slot of $2.4M as the first pick of the supplemental first round to go to college?  What is Ginn's number?  

I wouldn't mind trying to save $ at 1:2 and to spend the savings with our third round pick to sign a kid for $1.5M.  That would give us four guys drafted and signed at $1.5M and above.  

I note the two HSers the Os took in the first five rounds last year were young for the class.  This year, the younger HS seniors include Jordan Walker - who could be a strong candidate for our 30th pick - and Petey Halpin - who might be a small reach at 39, but doesn't seem likely to be available at 74.  Would one then lean toward Lacy instead of Martin if our targets at 30/39 were Walker/Halpin?  Most of those three would presumably be done at slot or below based on rankings - though I have seen Halpin drafted earlier than his current MLB ranking in several mocks.

Thank you, sir. My favorite time of year. I have been away from baseball, in general, for a few months. I needed a break from the game and all media associated with it. I was not coaching thanks to COVID, so seemed like a great time to unplug and get away. 

Great points. I have not seen a "number" associated with Bitsko. I am sure Mike Elias has done the work there. Seems likely it will be fairly high since he reclassified and he was touted to be a potential top 10 by many. His home is not far from Baltimore, but neither is UVA. And he may not be there when we pick if his number isn't high.

Veen is legit from what my Scorpion friends tell me. A corner power bat with enough arm for RF and solid athlete. Excellent attitude, hard worker, and plus hit tool.

Ginn is quite interesting, despite the TJ surgery. I have never seen him pitch, and only a little video. Have not seen any buzz on his interest in signing or a number. For me, I would think he would sign for second round slot rather than rehab for year and have less leverage next year even though he's a draft eligible sophomore currently. He would need to get healthy and pitch in college in 2022 to get his value back up any further. But then he'd have no leverage then as a senior. And major college programs will be looking at ways to maximize their 11.7 scholarships. So, older players rehabbing is problematic, especially for programs in conferences like the SEC.

Walker is interesting, huge guy with huge raw power. But the swing and miss is concerning. Long armed. He is supposed to be very athletic, surprisingly so, apparently. Never seen him. Projections have him at 1B, so, for me, he would have to be a 60 hit tool with the raw power he has. He seems to be a risky profile for where the Orioles are in this time in their cycle. 

I think they will go best player available. So if it's Lacy, who I really like BTW, I could still see them going with any of the pitchers mentioned here by posters. It may be unlikely, but possible. Elias likes who he likes. I doubt he picks more than 1-2 HS kids this year. I would think he would go with one of Bitsko RHP, Dax Fulton LHP, Carson Montgomery RHP or maybe Alex Santos RHP or Jared Jones RHP/OF at one of the 30-39 picks. The other I expect a college player like Casey Martin SS, or Jordan Westburg SS, Nick Loftin SS or maybe Alika Williams SS. California has several interesting HS OF's as well. Chase Davis, in particular, with an 80 arm.

I like Halpin, but I would not spend a second round pick on him. I may not draft him at all this year with only five rounds. No tools stand out, solid line drive hitter. Above average runner, average defender with an erratic arm built for LF. At least that is what I just read about him. His profile seems like the Mangum kid from Miss. State last year. I see a grinder who should go to college. 

This is an interesting draft for many reasons. Not a dominant player at the top, but it's a deep class. I expect the Orioles to pick Austin Martin. He is just a difference maker, a winner. Wherever he goes, he will get big hits. He barrels the baseball consistently. I will gladly take Lacy as well. He's a bulldog. But an everyday player has an impact 150 games a year. A TOR is important certainly for 33 starts, but his impact is largely tied to one game every fifth day. They say a TOR saves wear/tear on the pen, and sets the tone for the rest of the rotation. And its valid. But I take the player if all else is relatively equal. 

• Upvote 1

This is a good article about Martin's makeup. To even allude to Michael Jordan, as a competitor, is unfair to anyone. When it comes from respected Vanderbilt Head Coach Tim Corbin, I take it as high praise. Who knows Martin better? No coach can teach the intangibles this young man has. We've read a lot about the performance and the tools. All of that is readily available and he has been under immense scrutiny as all top level prospects are. Every wart in their game gets magnified. The kid is a fierce competitor, a great teammate and a winner. I believe we need more of that to solidify the culture we all want in Baltimore. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-mlb-draft-prospect-austin-martin

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jammer7 said:

This is a good article about Martin's makeup. To even allude to Michael Jordan, as a competitor, is unfair to anyone. When it comes from respected Vanderbilt Head Coach Tim Corbin, I take it as high praise. Who knows Martin better? No coach can teach the intangibles this young man has. We've read a lot about the performance and the tools. All of that is readily available and he has been under immense scrutiny as all top level prospects are. Every wart in their game gets magnified. The kid is a fierce competitor, a great teammate and a winner. I believe we need more of that to solidify the culture we all want in Baltimore. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-mlb-draft-prospect-austin-martin

The was posted before and I'll repeat that I'm not sure it's that great a trait.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The was posted before and I'll repeat that I'm not sure it's that great a trait.

My apologies on the re-post. Did not see it. To have the competitiveness, along with what is called "a slow heart beat" in pressure situations, I find to be a positive. I can see some downside if it makes the player try to do things they are incapable of doing. I have not seen that in his game. I suppose it could create some harsh feelings with some teammates being called out or pushed to be better, but major league players should have a thick enough skin to handle that. People lauded Adam Jones and Mark Reynolds, for instance, during the Orioles' recent  competitive years for their ability to hold their teammates accountable. Frank Robinson would certainly be another from a much different era. 

Can you expound on how you consider to not "that great a trait?"

12 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

My apologies on the re-post. Did not see it. To have the competitiveness, along with what is called "a slow heart beat" in pressure situations, I find to be a positive. I can see some downside if it makes the player try to do things they are incapable of doing. I have not seen that in his game. I suppose it could create some harsh feelings with some teammates being called out or pushed to be better, but major league players should have a thick enough skin to handle that. People lauded Adam Jones and Mark Reynolds, for instance, during the Orioles' recent  competitive years for their ability to hold their teammates accountable. Frank Robinson would certainly be another from a much different era. 

Can you expound on how you consider to not "that great a trait?"

From what I've read (which isn't a ton) Jordan was a lot rougher on his teammates than Jones or Reynolds.

That's acceptable if you are the best player of your generation and you are one of five guys on the field of play for your team.  I'm not sure how a Jordanesque attitude will play in a baseball clubhouse, especially if you end up as an occasional all star caliber player.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

From what I've read (which isn't a ton) Jordan was a lot rougher on his teammates than Jones or Reynolds.

That's acceptable if you are the best player of your generation and you are one of five guys on the field of play for your team.  I'm not sure how a Jordanesque attitude will play in a baseball clubhouse, especially if you end up as an occasional all star caliber player.

I agree. See Christian Laettner as another example at Duke. But he had to shut up and sit the bench on the Dream Team...lol

Remains to be seen just how far he takes it, but I doubt it is anywhere near those two. That would be something the area scout would have to do his homework on. Elias will have that diagnosed. If you win, you're a leader. If you lose, you are a malcontent or ego maniacal because you hate losing. Martin has been a baseball player for along time, so I am sure his fire is tempered some. Its a game of failure, and that is what Jordan learned as a Birmingham Baron. It's very humbling. From what I have seen, Martin has the respect of his Vandy teammates. You have to have some Alphas on a winning team. Whether anyone likes them or not. 

I think Tork has a 70% chance of being a force in the middle of the lineup so if he is available I would take him.    

I think Lacy, Hancock and Martin all are in the 50% range of being productive major leaugers.  I think the O's have to know who they are and what is most important for them.   Starting pitching is the key to them being a playoff team again and its hard for them to acquire.  Therefore if Tork is gone I would take Lacy #2,   Its hard of find a young lefty with his size and stuff.  Add him to Rodriguez, Hall and Means would raise the odds that the O's could put together a solid rotation for the future.

Martin has a 50% chance to be a 350 OBP leadoff hitter, 2B that produces 15-20 homers and steals per season IMO.  I don't think he is a 850 OPS guy as mainly a singles and doubles hit on a normal basis.  He may do that one or two times in his career.   Vandy has him listed at 170 lbs.  He looks like that is right.  He can add 15 lbs in the next few seasons and still be pretty thin.  He is not built for power.   His arm is average.  He may have Hays speed but he does not have Hays arm so he probably is not going to move Hays out of CF.   He is a good backup CF.  Henderson has a better arm for  3B.  The arm also makes Martin a good backup 3B.   His best position is probably 2B which is normally not a #2 pick.

While I would take Lacy I think Elias will take Martin.   Mainly because of the success he had in picking Correa and Bregman and failure he had in taking Appel and Aikens with high draft picks.