Who do you want at 39?

Among pitchers, I think it starts with Kelley, McMahon and Ginn.  Ranked slightly lower are Cole Wilcox, Beeter, Montgomery and Fulton.  Would love to still somehow end up with two of these guys.

Among position players, Daniel Cabrera the LSU OFer and Dillon Dingler. 

I am hoping for someone completely underwhelming that is ranked about 40 slots lower than where the Orioles pick - preferably an outfielder with a high swing and miss rate.   Either that or a hard throwing right handed with a history of arm injuries. 

8 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

O's pick second tomorrow.  Jared Kelley (HS RHP) seems like the consensus highest-rated prospect still on the board.  Is this where the O's will use the money they saved by taking Kjerstad with the second pick?  

It’s possible that the Orioles intend to have all first and second rounders in their draft. That they might spread the wealth. I can’t see gambling on a hard sign.  It is possible that the Os had targeted someone already picked but this smells of a different dish. Cooked all day. 

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Many assume we saved huge money with our 1st round pick.  Wake up and smell the coffee!  All indications are that he was drafted straight up at #2.  No savings!

It’s possible. I assume that there are some savings though. 

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Many assume we saved huge money with our 1st round pick.  Wake up and smell the coffee!  All indications are that he was drafted straight up at #2.  No savings!

Even if he was #2 on the Orioles' board they have no reason to pay him two money. 

How the conversation didn't go:

Elias- Hey, I know most folks have you mocked at around tenth but we think you are the second best player in the draft and want to pay you accordingly.

Heston- Sweet!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

We will see.  I think there are substantial savings here.  Kjerstad was projected to go ninth according to every mock and was discussed by most every team starting at 4.  There may not be $3M in savings here, but I expect there is something like $1.5M-$2.5M in savings.  Our next pick carries slot of $1.9M and the one after is over $800k.  We can likely afford two more guys signing for between $2.0-$2.5M or spend over $1.5M for our next three guys.

• Upvote 1