Pre-draft deal Dos/don’ts

HowAboutThat

I think Boras mis-judged the market and failed his client and, as a result, the kid will receive less from the Blue Jays than what the Os were prepared to pay. 

If Martin/Boras had requested slot from us or accepted/requested $500k-$750 less than slot, I think there is a good chance we would have drafted and signed Martin.

Martin will work something out with Toronto.  Very few kids turn down a MLB team over a $4M bonus - it is nearly unprecedented for that to happen - let alone a $6M-$7M bonus.

7 hours ago, Philip said:

Can you really see a 21-year-old young man turning down that much money to make a point? I agree with all of your analysis, and I think you stated it well and clearly, But he wasn’t drafted at 1.2, where his Money demand was too high, and at 1.5, the difference is even higher.

But I cannot imagine him walking away from trading lifetime security for a signature, just so he can risk repeating the process next year.

You wonder if what he ultimately signs for with the Jays turns out to be what the “below slot” number was with the Os.  Namely was the slot number at the 5 pick close to the below slot offered by the Os for number 2?  Boras liked dealing directly with the old man much better no doubt. 

• Upvote 1