Greatest World Series

Bahama O's Fan

40 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/best-world-series-ever-c296869362.html

My favorite is the Twins/Braves. It was the year that I really fell in love with baseball. Both went from last to first.

I agree with Twins / Braves.  I can recall World Series back to 1979 (which mercifully is blurry for me).  Kirby Puckett hitting the HR in Game 6 is a top moment of the last forty years -- and he is my favorite non-Oriole player.

Next up on the WS seven game list would be D'Backs / Yankees 2001, and Mets / Red Sox 1986.

1979 was a heartbreaker.  I was 10 that year and being up 3-1 I felt like we had it locked up.  One of life's hard lessons that it ain't over til the fat lady sings.  In this case it was Sister Sledge and I hated that song so lmuch it was even banned from being played at my wedding.  I told the DJ that if he played that song I'd sock him in the nose.  He was much bigger than me and I was glad when I didn't have to sock him. :)

My favorite was the 1988 World Series.  I've always loved the A's but found myself rooting for the Dodgers after the game one excitement of Kirk Gibson's classic game winning walk off homer off of Eckersley - who I didn't like at all from his BoSox days against the O's.  Anyway, I found myself pulling for the Dodgers despite the great season the A's had and how much I had enjoyed seeing that team play that summer.

42 minutes ago, beantownrefugee said:

I agree with Twins / Braves.  I can recall World Series back to 1979 (which mercifully is blurry for me).  Kirby Puckett hitting the HR in Game 6 is a top moment of the last forty years -- and he is my favorite non-Oriole player.

Next up on the WS seven game list would be D'Backs / Yankees 2001, and Mets / Red Sox 1986.

Oh yes! Yanks and Dbacks was next for me in my lifetime. I'm sure part of it was watching the Yanks getting beat

• Upvote 1

I didn’t see it, but I’d nominate the 1960 World Series where they Pirates beat the Yankees on Bill Mazeroski’s walk-off homer.    The Yankees outscored the Pirates 55-27 in that Series and lost.   I would have enjoyed watching that live!

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I didn’t see it, but I’d nominate the 1960 World Series where they Pirates beat the Yankees on Bill Mazeroski’s walk-off homer.    The Yankees outscored the Pirates 55-27 in that Series and lost.   I would have enjoyed watching that live!

That's Chuck Thompson on the call.   He was a much "faster talker" earlier in his career than the Chuck we remember.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

That's Chuck Thompson on the call.   He was a much "faster talker" earlier in his career than the Chuck we remember.

Now that you mention it... Yeah. That is Chuck. I didn't even realize watching that.

The list is flawed.  1968 Tigers VS Cardinals should be near the top of the list, instead of #38

That series had everything, Gibson setting the strikeout record in game 1 (still stands). Brock stealing bases,  controversial calls  (Cards in 5 if Brock hadn't been called out at home on a call that was probably missed). And game 7 was a classic 0-0 late inning pitchers dual between Gibson and Lolich until the late innings when Curt Flood misplayed a fly ball.

In terms of importance and drama, 2001 Diamondbacks Yankees should havre been #1.  That 9th inning DB comeback stopped the Yankees from winning 4 WS in a row and the Yankee dynasty was over. 

I was just a bit too young to remember the '91 series.  Of the ones that I can remember watching the ones that I immediately remember are '97 (was never going to root for Cleveland), '01, '02, '03 was great just because nobody expected the Marlins to win against the NYY.   A couple of the ones in the 2010's went to 6 and 7 games but I wasn't really watching as much; I think having an O's team do something worth a damn and coming up short made me less inclined to see how it ended, save for '14 because screw KC.