Update: Chris Davis missed two games with sinus infection, has recovered

MurphDogg

1 hour ago, Big Mac said:

Davis could rejoin the team tonight: https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/07/davis-could-return-to-orioles-tonight.html

Being held out as a precautionary measure because he was running a low fever believed to be related to his sinuses.  Has had multiple negative COVID-19 tests.  Print the playoff tickets. 

Which is what I said the other day, out of abundance of caution, he is held out.

Just like many of us, working daily has to assess our medical health each morning before going in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El_Duderino said:

The contract wasn’t even good on the front end. Ultimately we don’t know what the team would have looked like then or now if the money was allocated elsewhere. As far as I’m concerned he deserves the derision he gets, given his absolute stubbornness over the last few years to even admit his situation and make changes.

I just don't think he's a team player at all. He made no real effort to make changes in his approach or work on other parts of his game. He won't bunt or work on bunting because it's "not his game" because hitting under .200 while cashing undeserved paychecks is his game. He's just been on cruise control for years now. He got his career payday, so who cares? That's what I feel from him.

Even if making changes wouldn't have yielded any results, at least showing you're making an effort and actually care about and are aware of the quality of your performance would help a lot. Sometimes, guys just flame out early and there's not much you can do about it. Such potential futures and risks go with the territory of being an athlete.  It's more his attitude and unwillingness to acknowledge or even try, to any serious degree, to find something that works even if it means a complete reinvention of himself as a player. Instead, we get something resembling apathy.

I don't know (or care to know) anything about him personally nor is that even necessary to make valid criticisms of him. The good news is he's not really holding us back or hurting us in any meaningful way. He's an anchor on the Titanic; this boat sunk years ago and is in no danger of resurfacing anytime soon. He'll be long gone by the time that happens.

2 hours ago, Sessh said:

I just don't think he's a team player at all. He made no real effort to make changes in his approach or work on other parts of his game. He won't bunt or work on bunting because it's "not his game" because hitting under .200 while cashing undeserved paychecks is his game. He's just been on cruise control for years now. He got his career payday, so who cares? That's what I feel from him.

Even if making changes wouldn't have yielded any results, at least showing you're making an effort and actually care about and are aware of the quality of your performance would help a lot. Sometimes, guys just flame out early and there's not much you can do about it. Such potential futures and risks go with the territory of being an athlete.  It's more his attitude and unwillingness to acknowledge or even try, to any serious degree, to find something that works even if it means a complete reinvention of himself as a player. Instead, we get something resembling apathy.

I don't know (or care to know) anything about him personally nor is that even necessary to make valid criticisms of him. The good news is he's not really holding us back or hurting us in any meaningful way. He's an anchor on the Titanic; this boat sunk years ago and is in no danger of resurfacing anytime soon. He'll be long gone by the time that happens.

1. He has mentioned in several instances in the past trying to work on different approaches with hitting coaches, most notably on interviews on MLB network.

2.  His ST was going well and he said he focused on different things to change his approach.

3.  He is not the only person to not bunt.  Often times its the team that makes the decision that bunting is not the approach they want to take with their power hitters, not the power hitters themselves.

4.  Someone hands me a paycheck for a negotiated salary I am cashing it.

5.  He is a professional athlete, of course he cares about his performance. You are drawing conclusions about his mindset from his performance, and yet ignoring evidence about his mindset from interviews.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Sessh said:

Retweet

4 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

1. He has mentioned in several instances in the past trying to work on different approaches with hitting coaches, most notably on interviews on MLB network.

2.  His ST was going well and he said he focused on different things to change his approach.

3.  He is not the only person to not bunt.  Often times its the team that makes the decision that bunting is not the approach they want to take with their power hitters, not the power hitters themselves.

4.  Someone hands me a paycheck for a negotiated salary I am cashing it.

5.  He is a professional athlete, of course he cares about his performance. You are drawing conclusions about his mindset from his performance, and yet ignoring evidence about his mindset from interviews.

He has stated several times he doesn’t think a swing overhaul is worth it, he has maligned the shift, his bad luck on hard hit balls. All smacks of a guy who doesn’t get it...

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Define overhaul.

Has the shift not hurt him?  

Exactly, he's clearly communicated working on different things and making tweaks. An overhaul that consists of tearing down his whole swing (that got him to the show in the first place, where he had enormous success at points) and starting over just doesn't fit with where he is in his career.