MLB.com top 30 prospects (updated with 2020 draft)

Jammer7

4 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

MLB Pipeline (Callis and Mayo) put out their take on the Orioles top 30. A few mild surprises. 

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/orioles/

I thought Westburger was high from reports of draft position ahead of Diaz.  There looks to be some growing depth on that list with even guys near the end of it guys with major league potential.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

I thought Westburger was high from reports of draft position ahead of Diaz.  There looks to be some growing depth on that list with even guys near the end of it guys with major league potential.

That was the first thing that stood out to me. Until Diaz stays healthy and produces like he is expected to, he is going to start to slide. The ranking of Haskin and Baumler stood out a bit as well. Personally, I have Baumann and Kremer after Mountcastle and ahead of Henderson, Westburg and Diaz. Bannon at 23 was a mild surprise. Overall, a fair list, for what it's worth. 

A few weeks ago, I listened to the Orioles Magic post-draft podcast with Jim Callis. It was a solid recap, and Callis was a good bit higher on some of the draftees than before, especially Haskin. He also had additional good things to say about the Kjerstad pick, Westburg and Baumler. 

https://art19.com/shows/orioles-magic-the-podcast

On 8/5/2020 at 3:17 PM, Jammer7 said:

MLB Pipeline (Callis and Mayo) put out their take on the Orioles top 30. A few mild surprises. 

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/orioles/

My first, knee jerk reaction was incredulity that a reputable(ish) source could still have Luis Ortiz in our top 30. Then I quickly realized it was NOT the Ortiz acquired from Milwaukee in the Schoop trade, but rather the Luis Ortiz that was an international signing last year. Then my blood pressure returned to normal.

Overall a pretty good list, I think, though I feel like some of this year’s draftees are a touch high for me (Westburg being the most glaring).

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

My first, knee jerk reaction was incredulity that a reputable(ish) source could still have Luis Ortiz in our top 30. Then I quickly realized it was NOT the Ortiz acquired from Milwaukee in the Schoop trade, but rather the Luis Ortiz that was an international signing last year. Then my blood pressure returned to normal.

Overall a pretty good list, I think, though I feel like some of this year’s draftees are a touch high for me (Westburg being the most glaring).

The lefty Ortiz has a very bright future, but the RHP version...not so much. Surprised the RHP is still in the organization. 

As far as Westburg, I think they believe in his most recent batting improvements prior to the draft. They put a lot of stock in his upside, certainly. Personally, I think he and Henderson are quite similar in profile. Westburg, who has played with Miss. State and Team USA and Cape Cod League, has accomplished more and has higher level experience than Henderson l, who has half a season in the GCL. 

Haskin and Baumler were mild surprised to me in how highly they are thought of. With no games to observe for most of these guys, any ranking is much more about projections. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Chuck A said:

I was looking for Elio Prado on the list.  One of the 2 17 yr olds that were the Cashner trade.  Keep an eye on him.  Very toolsy, if that is a word.

I hear good things as well. I think we will see several DSL prospects begin to rise in the next two years. Another to watch is Raul Rangel, a RHP, who is beginning to fill out and add velocity. He was reportedly into the mid 90’s last Fall after signing. 

35 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I hear good things as well. I think we will see several DSL prospects begin to rise in the next two years. Another to watch is Raul Rangel, a RHP, who is beginning to fill out and add velocity. He was reportedly into the mid 90’s last Fall after signing. 

These are guys hurt most by not playing, IMO.  I hope they are able to play somewhere in the fall or winter.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Saw this cool tweet and didn't know where to put it. But I liked it.

I have seen this a few times through the years. Great stuff! Drafting HS kids is such a crap shoot, especially when you look at the bottom half of this. A little maturity and solid college coaching/program has turned around the lives of many young ballplayers. And of course, bad coaching/program has ruined many a promising career as well. Some of these things are either there, or they are not. Many of these things can be taught and/or greatly improved upon depending on the athleticism, determination and the aptitude of the player. But someone worthwhile had to believe in you. Amateur scouts have a tough job.

Many MLB players, even all-stars, have told me that they were very fortunate to have the careers they have. I used to think they were being disingenuous, but I realized over time that they were sincere in that sentiment. They would talk about guys that had more talent, but had terrible HS or college coaches sabotage them, or a drug/alcohol problem, or a bad relationship, or got into a car wreck, or too many bar fights, or etc... They really are a bit lucky that things clicked for them.

I used to wonder why major league organizations did not do much more to mentor and look out for the immature HS kids they drafted and signed. They have improved greatly these days to teach these young men about basic responsibility, professionalism, nutrition, workout plans and financial issues than they used to. 

On a side note, I always had a favorite sign posted on a MLB Spring Training hitting cage. It's message was simple, "Mechanics stay in the cage." Meaning, once you leave the cage, no more thinking about mechanics. Just hit as you are today and compete, and get back in the cage tomorrow and put in your work. It seems so simple, right?