I'm Ready for Mountcastle and Diaz: Mountcastle Up, Diaz Still Waiting

ChuckS

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

Specifically I was referring to Trumbo’s 47 homer season where his defense was so bad it canceled out his offense and resulted in a 101 WRC and a low 2.2 WAR.

Trumbo never played shortstop in the minors and had around a dozen games at third base.  I suspect that Mountcastle will be significantly better in the  outfield than Trumbo.  Such comparisons are far off the mark.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Trumbo never played shortstop in the minors and had around a dozen games at third base.  I suspect that Mountcastle will be significantly better in the  outfield than Trumbo.  Such comparisons are far off the mark.

They are. He is quite athletic. 

13 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I wasn’t comparing positions, only results: “bad defense cancels out good offense.” 

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

I wasn’t comparing positions, only results: “bad defense cancels out good offense.” 

My point is that no matter what the position, Mountcastle will be a better defensive player than Trumbo.  So if they have similar offensive production, Mountcastle will have more value.  Comparing him to Trumbo is unfair.

30 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

My point is that no matter what the position, Mountcastle will be a better defensive player than Trumbo.  So if they have similar offensive production, Mountcastle will have more value.  Comparing him to Trumbo is unfair.

No, I don’t agree. Mountcastle has a poor reputation on defense, and how he plays On either side of the ball remains to be seen.

regardless, I wasn’t comparing them by position as I already said,, I was merely talking about the wide disparity between offense and defense, and how terrible defense can cancel out excellent offense. Trumbo produced one of the worst-ever 47-hr seasons, because his defense was so bad.

I am not suggesting that Mountcastle will be as bad on defense or as good on offense, I was merely saying that that wide disparity Is a possibility. I am disappointed that that was not clear.

I talk Ryan down a lot on this board. Not Ryan himself but all the expectations on here. I REALLY wish him all the luck in the world. If he can play just and average LF, I think he will definitely hit. Just needs to get comfortable with the whole thing, hitting ML pitching. Get his feet under him and I think he will be good. ?

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Mountcastle is gonna be a star. 

• Upvote 1