Akin promoted, Mullins optioned

MurphDogg

25 minutes ago, Philip said:

I think it’s kind of sad actually. The human element is very strong and very important, if we have an empire who’s 90-95% right,

I can live with the occasional mistake.

There plenty of human element in the game—the players. 
I can’t understand why someone would prefer to have bad calls. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, makoman said:

There plenty of human element in the game—the players. 
I can’t understand why someone would prefer to have bad calls. 

Did I say I did? Read it again. The human element, including that from the umpires, is important, and I can live with a 90-95% accuracy rate from the umps in order to keep that.

I neither said directly, nor implied that I “preferred bad calls.”

Edited by Philip

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Did I say I did? Read it again. The human element, including that from the umpires, is important, and I can live with a 90-95% accuracy rate from the umps in order to keep that.

I neither said directly, nor implied that I “preferred bad calls.” Watch what you say.

You are saying you prefer human. I assume the tech is good enough that human is necessarily less accurate than electronic. So yes, you prefer having bad calls because it’s human. No other way to spin it. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Trying to get excited about a fringe prospect.

And yep, don't give a $#%&.

I think he’s more than a fringe prospect...he’s a legit prospect, not that it means he will be a legit MLer.

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I'd keep both of them.  They do different things. Valaika hits lefties.   Velazquez is a better backup SS.

I would rather have an extra bat off the bench than a third guy that can credibly play shortstop. If Valaika is only there for his bat, there are much better options.

6 hours ago, Philip said:

One of the worst things about an electronic strike zone is that it would render completely useless the skill of framing. You can’t fool a computer, it’s either a ball or a strike and that is that.

No more ball/strike arguments with the umpire and the inevitable ejections.  Can you imagine Earl kicking dirt on a robot umpire?

Akin probably won't make it as a starter.  He's got three average or better pitches but his command has been erratic throughout the minors and I don't see that boding well for him at the big league level.  I think he'll have some good starts here and there but be way too inconsistent. 

I think his stuff and command is good enough for him to be a valuable multi-inning reliever and I think that's what he ends up as.  He could be throwing comfortably in the mid 90's in two or three inning stints and his change and slider are good enough to get both lefties and righties out.  Should feel more comfortable going after hitters with the increased velocity, as I've read he likes to a nibble a bit. 

• Upvote 1