Importance of a Third Catcher

Bahama O's Fan

24 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I think it was more their arms could handle a mid 80's fastball alot better than what pitchers are working with today. Assuming they even threw mid 80's. I also think less processed foods probably helped their tendons stay strong. 

It would be really interesting to see a detailed analysis of that question. I suppose we can find out when the first Effective radar guns were Used, but that information only goes back so far. I’m pretty sure that they were a lot of attempts to try and calculate the speed of a thrown ball even back in the day. After all, the speed of light was determined I think in 1913, and that was the speed of light.But even if you’re throwing something like a tennis ball, try throwing that as hard as you can 130 times in two hours. Your arm would be falling off, Even if your top speed is 40 miles an hour and you’re only throwing a straight ball. Yet those guys thought nothing of throwing 150 pitch complete games.

It would be fascinating to learn whether the guys back then were fundamentally healthier, or at least more fit, than we are today.

5 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

If we are doing what makes sense, then Mountcastle will be up do. 

I think they want to play Mountcastle everyday when he is called up.  Right now Smith, Nunez, Severino and Sisco are all hitting well.   There is no place to play Mountcastle everyday.   Elias is probably waiting for an injury or someone to cool off.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

?

Wait, you're serious?

?

Dude has a career OPS+ of 71 and he's the DH?

Yep. 

I’m waiting on posting a big OP if somehow this team hangs around into September....

I don’t think the idea I have is as crazy as it would sound under the right circumstances. 

3 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

I think with the current roster consisting of several guys who can play INF/OF having the 3rd catcher is a great move. It allows Hyde to DH one of Severino or Sisco when both are hot as they have been. The fact that Holaday can play a little first is a bonus. I think it leads to more lineup flexibility than less. 

There's no reason Severino or Sisco couldn't DH without a third catcher.  If something happens to the starting catcher you shift them behind the plate and you lose the DH for a few innings.  You're already switching pitchers about every inning late in the game, so just pinch hit when his spot comes up.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

?

Wait, you're serious?

?

Dude has a career OPS+ of 71 and he's the DH?

He's hitting .400 this year, so he's white-hot.  And last year he OPS'd .771.  I think that's more than enough evidence to conclude he's a late bloomer. 

If he keeps up his .400 streak he'll either be a great asset as they move deep into the playoffs, or they can flip him for a top prospect at the deadline.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

There's no reason Severino or Sisco couldn't DH without a third catcher.  If something happens to the starting catcher you shift them behind the plate and you lose the DH for a few innings.  You're already switching pitchers about every inning late in the game, so just pinch hit when his spot comes up.

?????????

• Upvote 1