2022 DH, 1B and OF

Bahama O's Fan

8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think he probably will, too.  But he has the profile of an Oriole prospect: Adam Jones' plate discipline.  That can work out, but he's going to have to hit almost .300 to have a good OBP.  In today's game hitting .300 is like hitting .325 10 years ago.

Yea I agree with this.  I tend to think his ceiling is something around an 850 OPS but that he will more likely be around 800 or so.

Jones is actually a pretty good comp imo. 

23 hours ago, jamalshw said:

They seem to be trying really hard to put Mountcastle in the OF rather than 1B. I'd rather see him at 1B, but I think we see this:

DH- Renato Nunez

1B- Trey Mancini

LF- Ryan Mountcastle

CF- Austin Hays

RF- Anthony Santander

I am not banking on Diaz right now, but if he out-performs someone on this list, then great.

This is how it appears to shake out right now with the current roster and goals for Mountcastle. 

55 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I agree with this.  I tend to think his ceiling is something around an 850 OPS but that he will more likely be around 800 or so.

Jones is actually a pretty good comp imo. 

As a overall player type it's pretty good.  But at the end of his age 24 season Jones had played almost 500 MLB games.  Hayes won't have 100.

1 hour ago, TommyPickles said:

I would be THRILLED if Austin Hays matches Adam Jones' career numbers.

He's got a lot of catching up to do.

Before he was 25, Adam Jones already had:

-An All Star nod

-A Gold Glove

-50 HRs

-32 SBs

-Over 400 games played 

-Multiple seasons with an OPS+ over 100 (105, 108)

Very unlikely because of Adam's 2-3 year head start, and Hays' inability to stay healthy.  At the moment Hayes is more Pete Stanicek than Adam Jones.

On 8/21/2020 at 9:38 AM, TommyPickles said:

So you don't see any of these players on the team in 2022?

Anthony Santander- 25 years old, not a free agent until 2025, leading the AL in RBIs while playing +defense.

Renato Nunez- 26 years old, not a free agent until 2025, coming off a 31-homer season, currently has a 133 OPS+

Austin Hays- 25 years old, not a free agent until 2026, just getting his first real crack at the majors.

Trey Mancini- 27 years old, not a free agent until 2023, coming off a 35 Homer/.899 OPS season.  Arguably the team leader and most popular player in the organization.

Anthony Santander- 25 years old, not a free agent until 2025, leading the AL in RBIs while playing +defense. (in a tiny sample size)

Renato Nunez- 26 years old, not a free agent until 2025, coming off a 31-homer season, currently has a 133 OPS+ (in a small sample size, OPS'ed .771 last season and was worth less than 1 win despite 31 HR and 91 RBI's)

Austin Hays I just don't think is the best possible outcome for the field, but i'll happily be proven wrong.

Mancini likely gets moved.