2022 DH, 1B and OF

Bahama O's Fan

15 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That's a tough spot.  Logically, what are the odds that a 30-year-old first baseman with a pretty good but not great late 20s peak is going to be worth an extension?  Now factor in that he's coming off a serious medical condition.  He's going to be a high-risk fan favorite.  Much pressure to re-sign to an unwise contract.

I wouldn't go over 7 years / $161M.     Precedent is clearly set!    ;)

• Haha 2

The Os are in a bad spot with Mancini.  I don’t think, even before the cancer, that you could justify an extension for him.  

But he’s a fan favorite and having now gone through the cancer, it will look bad in the eyes of the casual fan of you don’t sign him.  

He should have been traded last year but now, I think you just go year to year with him and evaluate him and the others that are coming up behind him.

He was one of the 30ish best offensive players in baseball in 2019.  I don’t believe that to be his “new normal”.  I believe he will be a 780-820 OPS guy with mediocre defense.  

Im inclined to let that player walk once he gets expensive.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Os are in a bad spot with Mancini.  I don’t think, even before the cancer, that you could justify an extension for him.  

But he’s a fan favorite and having now gone through the cancer, it will look bad in the eyes of the casual fan of you don’t sign him.  

He should have been traded last year but now, I think you just go year to year with him and evaluate him and the others that are coming up behind him.

He was one of the 30ish best offensive players in baseball in 2019.  I don’t believe that to be his “new normal”.  I believe he will be a 780-820 OPS guy with mediocre defense.  

Im inclined to let that player walk once he gets expensive.

Yeah, you gotta go year to year with him and just see how it goes, there is a ton of uncertainty with him. Even if he comes back fully healthy it's tough to miss a year and he might not come back to the same level, really it all depends on if he's really a 2-4 WAR guy or a 0.5 WAR guy and that's still not clear. I'm not sure how arb is going to work with this situation but he may not get that expensive so there's that. 

Also, it will be easier to let him go from a casual fan perspective if the team is doing well at that point and you have some good players in the OF/1B. People got over losing Markakis after his age 30 season.

I'm glad people are coming around to 2022 as the goal.  I was previously told that was too early to hope to be competitive.

I think it's going to be:

DH- Sisco or Nunez (I think the rosters will remain at 28 players indefinitely and the O's will carry three catchers in 2022)

1B- Mountcastle or Mancini (hard to say what will happen with Mancini, but I think it will be one of these two young men and the other will be gone somehow)

LF- Santander

CF- Hays

RF- Diaz

• Like 1

They seem to be trying really hard to put Mountcastle in the OF rather than 1B. I'd rather see him at 1B, but I think we see this:

DH- Renato Nunez

1B- Trey Mancini

LF- Ryan Mountcastle

CF- Austin Hays

RF- Anthony Santander

I am not banking on Diaz right now, but if he out-performs someone on this list, then great.

37 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They seem to be trying really hard to keep Mountcastle out of the majors.

Maybe next he will try to learn catcher. That should take a few years. 

We need that all important control of his age 38 season!

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They seem to be trying really hard to keep Mountcastle out of the majors.

It's to the point of being ridiculous.  I have defended Elias in the past, but this is just screwing with the kid, the fans, and the big league team.  This team's roster is built to fail and only an early hot streak by a number of hitters playing well over their career trends has kept it afloat so far.  Other than Santander, the bats have gone cold and the losing has returned.  Playing Smith over anyone else seems like a deliberate attempt to keep losing.  Calling up Akin to rot on the bench, get one appearance and be demoted is a kick in the ass for everyone.

The Villar trade pissed me off.  Mountcastle's continued absence from the ML lineup is absurd.

6 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

It's to the point of being ridiculous.  I have defended Elias in the past, but this is just screwing with the kid, the fans, and the big league team.  This team's roster is built to fail and only an early hot streak by a number of hitters playing well over their career trends has kept it afloat so far.  Other than Santander, the bats have gone cold and the losing has returned.  Playing Smith over anyone else seems like a deliberate attempt to keep losing.  Calling up Akin to rot on the bench, get one appearance and be demoted is a kick in the ass for everyone.

The Villar trade pissed me off.  Mountcastle's continued absence from the ML lineup is absurd.

As is the media not putting Elias' feet to the fire over the issue.

Local Reporter (LC) Why hasn't Mountcastle been called up?

Elias- He's uhh working on stuff.

LC- OK then next question.

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Where is Mancini?

So many questions with him. 

Obviously we are all hoping for the best. It’s entirely possible he is the DH in 22. Like SG said it’s a tough spot with him. 

Best case is all these guys work out and we able to trade some of them for other areas we need help. 

2 hours ago, jamalshw said:

They seem to be trying really hard to put Mountcastle in the OF rather than 1B. I'd rather see him at 1B, but I think we see this:

DH- Renato Nunez

1B- Trey Mancini

LF- Ryan Mountcastle

CF- Austin Hays

RF- Anthony Santander

I am not banking on Diaz right now, but if he out-performs someone on this list, then great.

I wanted them to try him in LF because especially on a non contender it is worth a shot. 

That said with the emergence so far of Santander and drafting Kjerstad, as well as still having Diaz it’s looking more likely he winds up at 1B. 

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

Signing Iglesias impacts how I view the Villar deal. Clearly they wanted to save money but I think  wanting to give Alberto full time at 2nd made sense and Iglesias was a better fit at SS. 

Not that he is making a ton but I thought they may go even cheaper at SS.