Update: Davis Activated! Davis to IL with knee injury

MurphDogg

One of the happiest circumstances of the past week has been seeing the team lineup unfettered by the presence of Davis. It’s given Hyde Much more freedom to play around than one might expect just from one missing player.

I’m really curious whether they’re just going to throw him back in the lineup, even though they and everybody else on the planet knows what a mess it will create.

Edited by Philip

4 minutes ago, NedFromYork said:

At this point I don't understand why they don't try to convert Davis to a relief pitcher.  He was a good pitcher in high school with a fastball over 90 which he flashed the couple of times Buck used him in mop up.  Unfortunately, he is done as a hitter.

In 2012 his FB averaged 87.97 MPH.  In 2019 his FB averaged 84.17 MPH. 

He has no more chance to succeed as a relief pitcher than he does as a hitter.

2 hours ago, Philip said:

One of the happiest circumstances of the past week has been seeing the team lineup unfettered by the presence of Davis. It’s given Hyde Much more freedom to play around than one might expect just from one missing player.

I’m really curious whether they’re just going to throw him back in the lineup, even though they and everybody else on the planet knows what a mess it will create.

He'll be a pinch hitter and (maybe) late-inning defensive replacement at 1B. That's all. I hope.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Who would you pinch hit Davis for?

I expect he's going to hang out at Bowie the rest of the season.

That would be great. But if he comes back on the ML roster, I would expect to see him pinch hit once in a while for one of our weaker RHed hitters (or Velazquez) against RHed pitchers.

3 hours ago, Philip said:

I don’t think he’s coming back this season. Hopefully he is ready to retire at the end of the season.

Im more interested in them starting to weed out the guys that can’t hit. It’s obvious to me that Mason Williams and Velazquez aren’t pieces of the long term Orioles. Ruiz is a .263 career hitter and .750 OPS guy in the minors and I think we could find a better long term solution for the hot corner. 

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Hey, TJ McFarland has been doing ok for himself. ATM hes part of the Oakland Pen and earning his money, so 84 Mph is ok.

Sure, not a knock, I just meant the mop-up role. I know T.J.’s more likely to be productive than Davis at this point. Then again, the same could probably be said of B.J. Surhoff, K.K. Downing or P.G. Wodehouse. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

Sure, not a knock, I just meant the mop-up role. I know T.J.’s more likely to be productive than Davis at this point. Then again, the same could probably be said of B.J. Surhoff, K.K. Downing or P.G. Wodehouse. 

One of those is dead.  I think Davis can outproduce that one.