The O's should go for it

wildcard

I'd rather see the O's sell off than add in this weird season. I honestly don't care if they make the playoffs in this short season, and I'd rather have Elias continue to rebuild the system. Harder to do that when they end up picking #16 or higher. 

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yes, through the equivalent of one month of games where about half the lineup is hitting 200 points over established career marks.  Any projection going forward wouldn't be particularly close to fifth best.

They don’t give out awards to “hypothetically better“ teams.

11 hours ago, wildcard said:

According to MLBTR these  8 starters have a better chance of being traded than Cobb:

Taijuan Walker

Dylan Bundy

Lance Lynn

Kevin Gausman

Derek Holland

Mike Clevinger

Zach Plesac

Rick Porcello

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/08/top-50-trade-deadline-candidates.html

Milone does not even make the list.   He is even less likely to be traded according to them.

MLBTR is good for conveying facts and expert sources.  Their bloggers however are not baseball insiders and so at best this is an educated guess and should not be used to draw conclusions otger than...educated guesses, which the majority of OHers can do themselves as they probably read just as much about the industry.

I think the Orioles trade a few pieces and thats what they should do.

• Upvote 1

When I say "go for it"  I mean wait to trade Cobb until the off season.  Not trade O's prospects for veterans.  That is not happening.

I think the O's have a  5 to 6 run offense when Iglesias and Severino are added back in the lineup.  It may take a few days for them to get their swings back.  The offense has already been improved with the addition of Mountcastle over Smith.   Mullins has a .370 OBP in August.   He adds a lot at leadoff.

I am also excited that Harvey is coming back.  He should help when Givens is traded.   I want to see how Eshelman does in the rotation.   I think Wojo is on thin ice and could be replaced by a rookie in the rotation before long.

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

When I say "go for it"  I mean wait to trade Cobb until the off season.  Not trade O's prospects for veterans.  That is not happening.

I think the O's have a  5 to 6 run offense when Iglesias and Severino are added back in the lineup.  It may take a few days for them to get their swings back.  The offense has already been improved with the addition of Mountcastle over Smith.   Mullins has a .370 OBP in August.   He adds a lot at leadoff.

I am also excited that Harvey is coming back.  He should help when Givens is traded.   I want to see how Eshelman does in the rotation.   I think Wojo is on thin ice and could be replaced by a rookie in the rotation before long.

The Dodgers lead MLB in runs per game at about 5.8.  If you average 5 runs or more, that makes you a top 10 offense in all of baseball.

You think this offense is anywhere from the best in baseball to the top 10?  When you see the talent on the offense and compare it to the other teams, that’s your belief?

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think the O's have a  5 to 6 run offense when Iglesias and Severino are added back in the lineup.  It may take a few days for them to get their swings back.  

Both of those guys are out-performing their career numbers at frankly unsustainable rates. You think Iglesias is anywhere close to a 165 OPS+ kind of hitter?

The sample size basically equates to a fairly short-lived hot streak for both players. Someone could probably convince me that Severino is an improved hitter over his career numbers and starting to come into his own... but not .981 OPS-improved.