Valaika makes a bid to become an everyday player

wildcard

2 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I do agree that most of these guys should have been promoted early, but outside of Mountcastle don’t think there is a dynamite case that any of them should have.

Regarding Adley, I believe the rationale for him starting in Florida was his coming off of mono and wanting to build strength back up.

Diaz and DL Hall are both guys that seem like they will play up to competition. I’d also heard that with Hall he was kept down to work on specific pitches which is what led to his command/walk issues

If you look back the point I was making was that they "could have been promoted more aggressively last season.".  I think a reasonable case for promotion exists for all of the players I listed.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you look back the point I was making was that they "could have been promoted more aggressively last season.".  I think a reasonable case for promotion exists for all of the players I listed.

There were a few injuries which got in the way there. 

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mountcastle was adequate in left, in fact more reps, say during a September callup, would have probably been beneficial to his development.  Nice to see you admit service time was a factor.

When he was healthy Diaz could have been in AAA.  I don't think you can say a promotion to AAA would have been rushing him.

I think part of the issue with Hall's command was the lack of competition.  When your best strategy as a hitter is hope the pitcher walks you it impacts the pitcher's walk rate. I think an increase in competition could have been helpful to get a better look at who he is.

Adley didn't start in Aberdeen, he started in the Gulf Coast League.   You know, where they put the kids out of HS, not 21 year olds that go 1-1 in the draft.

While I wasn't hankering for a Rodriguez promotion a case could have been made for it and I'm sure some franchises would have.

Grenier got promoted before Hall despite having inferior numbers and prospect status.

I absolutely think you are seeing an intentional slow down.  Can you name one prospect that was aggressively promoted?

Of course service time is a factor but Mountcastle not coming up last year always very little.

i don’t agree with the word rushing.  I think it’s a made up term with very little substance behind it and now, sending Diaz to AAA wouldn’t have been a big deal.  But they had reason not to and it’s not something to point to and act as if Elias is doing him a disservice.

As for the rest..I don’t buy most of what you said but whatever.

And yes, it’s intentional.  He means to leave them down.  No one has deserved to be “aggressively promoted”. 

Im not saying that guys couldn’t have been moved up but you are acting like these guys are dominating their levels and have sat there for years, just waiting.

Thats just not the case.  

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Fair enough. I agree a reasonable case does exist.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And a reasonable case existed to not promote them aggressively too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

You've got the market cornered when it comes to pining for 17 year old Dominicans so I had to pick a different topic.

Speaking of which, any Erinson Placencia sightings? I was really looking forward to seeing what they might do with him this year after .900 OPS/.500 OBP for Orioles 1. 17 year old SS. 

7 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

WHY DO THE ORIOLES RELEASE PLAYERS AND THEN THEY BECOME SUPERSTARS SOMEWHERE ELSE!~?!>!?!?

From May 1st 2018 through the end of the year Flaherty hit .136.

Inability to be able to develop players....Certain players have enough to develop themselves or will make it regardless. Other players need developing. Developing Machado for example doesn’t count for much because he would’ve made it anyway IMO.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Inability to be able to develop players....Certain players have enough to develop themselves or will make it regardless. Other players need developing. Developing Machado for example doesn’t count for much because he would’ve made it anyway IMO.

But if a top-3 pick flamed out it would be an indictment of the org. Seems like you’re fitting things to a narrative. 

4 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

But if a top-3 pick flamed out it would be an indictment of the org. Seems like you’re fitting things to a narrative. 

Not really in my opinion....It’s would be like giving Seattle credit for developing Griffey or the Nationals for Harper.

But go ahead and count him if you want the Orioles have been so putrid that it doesn’t matter 

Just in the first round...arguably the easiest pick to hit on.

From Mussina in 1990 Until Markakis in 2003 every first rounder selected was aLmost a complete loss.

From 2004-2009 the only Player they hit on was Wieters. And many think he was a disappointment versus projections.

And 11-15 Bundy, Harvey and Gausman fell way short of TOR projections. DJ Stewart looks like a bust. And it’s too early to tell on Mountcastle and Sedlock.So in 25 years worth of first rounders the only wins thy had were Markakis, Mussina, and Machado.

I blame development ....but I guess bad luck probably played a role.

You probably could’ve picked better by pulling ping pong balls out of a fish bowl than our gaggle of incompetent GMs.