Roch on the OF situation

Frobby

Just now, eddie83 said:

I don’t think this is an issue until Diaz is ready. They can explore what they have in Mountcastle. No need to make a decision now. As others have said Mullins is more of a bench player. I would not deal Santander myself. Switch hitters with his skill set are not easy to find. Do I think he is a lock to be good?, no but he has a chance. Mancini doesn’t even play into this, he was a 1B who played OF due to need. 

A creative manager using DH can give all these guys at bats next year. Nunez could be moved as well it needed.  

Diaz is ready imo.  I think the team knows it but no where to put him right now.

We have to wait and see on Mancini but I do think we need 2 of Davis, Nunez and Santander gone after the season.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

If he was going to be the first baseman next year, he would be the first baseman now. He is going to have every opportunity to succeed or fail as a left-fielder.

The belief that he should be declared not a left-fielder at this point is not a widely held belief, in fact as far as I know, it is only held by you.

You don't move young players to easier defensive positions until you have to. Maximizing your defensive efficiency in the short term is secondary to maximizing Mountcastle's long-term value to the team.

Having extra outfielders is a luxury that is not best solved by moving the youngest, most valuable outfielder to a less valuable, more easy to fill position.

Stop that. Go back to my comment. Read what I said. I’ll help if you stumble on the big words. You’re making a claim I did not make.

I mentioned a couple of bad plays and could have mentioned at least one more.

I won’t repeat the whole thing. 

5 minutes ago, weams said:

Not that I've ever observed. 

1.  I said the O's were probably a .500 team  when many were saying that they were a last place team trying for a #1 draft choice.  People have come my way.

2. I said Mullins could play CF and would probably hit when many were stuck thinking for him as the guy who could not could not hit at AAA last year.  People are agreeing more and more with me.

3. I was in Valaika's corner before most.  People see his value more now.

25 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Having extra outfielders is a luxury that is not best solved by moving the youngest, most valuable outfielder to a less valuable, more easy to fill position.

Mc is most certainly not our most valuable OF. He MAY be our most valuable bat, but that’s a different thing. Santander is our most valuable current OF, and Hays probably would be if he could stay on the field. As I said, staying in Left is fine, so long as his bat continues to carry his glove.
If we have too many outfielders, you trade the superfluous if possible, and shuffle the others as necessary. That’s not a controversial comment.

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

1.  I said the O's were probably a .500 team  when many were saying that they were a last place team trying for a #1 draft choice.  People have come my way.

2. I said Mullins could play CF and would probably hit when many were stuck thinking for him as the guy who could not could not hit at AAA last year.  People are agreeing more and more with me.

3. I was in Valaika's corner before most.  People see his value more now.

SSS

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

Mc is most certainly not our most valuable OF. He MAY be our most valuable bat, but that’s a different thing. Santander is our most valuable current OF, and Hays probably would be if he could stay on the field. As I said, staying in Left is fine, so long as his bat continues to carry his glove.
If we have too many outfielders, you trade the superfluous if possible, and shuffle the others as necessary. That’s not a controversial comment.

I'm not convinced that Santander is a much stronger defensive outfielder than Mountcastle.

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

Mountcastle, .9 rWAR in 19 games, 74 PA

Santander, 1.3 rWAR in 37 games, 165 PA.

Mountcastle is younger.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Diaz is ready imo.  I think the team knows it but no where to put him right now.

We have to wait and see on Mancini but I do think we need 2 of Davis, Nunez and Santander gone after the season.  

The first two of those three aren’t hard decisions. If the NL keeps DH Nunez can be moved easier. I know Kjerstad is coming soon also. 

I wanted to see Mountcastle in LF, that said he still may wind up at 1B. I think you can still make some harder calls later on here. 

26 minutes ago, Philip said:

Stop that. Go back to my comment. Read what I said. I’ll help if you stumble on the big words. You’re making a claim I did not make.

I mentioned a couple of bad plays and could have mentioned at least one more.

I won’t repeat the whole thing. 

???

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Who do we have who has meaningful trade value?

Mancini. Not that I think we will get an MLB ready 3B for him but I expect we will trade him and Nunez before next year's deadline. Stewart can take Nunez' DH spot as long as his bat plays, leaving Mountcastle, Hays, and Santander in the OF with Mullins as 4th OF. 

36 minutes ago, weams said:

I think you have to evaluate over a longer period than 20 games. 

I’m not saying anything against Mountcastle, I’m just saying that Santandar certainly has a long enough track record to give him credit for all the good things he does, And look accurately at the things he doesn’t do as well as we would like.

It seems like DJ Stewart is likely to be traded.  He reminds me of a better Jack Cust.  He is close to a 3 outcomes hitter, homers, walks and lots of strikeouts.  I could see him putting up a .220, 40 HR, 200 K year, but I could also see him out of baseball in 2 years.  What's his trade value relative to Nunez>