Roch on the OF situation

Frobby

17 minutes ago, interloper said:

Hays is coming off the IL today and a roster move is necessary. 

I think it's got to be Velazquez. Valaika has largely taken over backup SS and Mullins will now be the backup/split CF. 

Of course, it could always be Davis.... (it won't be). 

My guess.   Holaday DFA'd or Sisco optioned.   The option will not stick passed this season because there are not 20 days left in the season.   None of the catchers are hitting in Sept so they will not be DHing.  Holaday does not stay on the 40 man roster over the winter.

The answer's pretty easy and simple to me. Mountcastle, Hays, and Santander should be the everyday OF with Stewart at DH and Mancini at 1B, Mullins should be the fourth outfielder and Nunez non-tendered after the season. Diaz and McKenna haven't had a single plate appearance in AAA so really they shouldn't even factor into the equation until late 2021 anyway. Let them play a full season at AAA. Roster crunch really shouldn't be an issue until 2022 at the earliest. Things can change a lot from now until then.

1 minute ago, TINSTAAPP said:

The answer's pretty easy and simple to me. Mountcastle, Hays, and Santander should be the everyday OF with Stewart at DH and Mancini at 1B, Mullins should be the fourth outfielder and Nunez non-tendered after the season. Diaz and McKenna haven't had a single plate appearance in AAA so really they shouldn't even factor into the equation until late 2021 anyway. Let them play a full season at AAA. Roster crunch really shouldn't be an issue until 2022 at the earliest. Things can change a lot from now until then.

Disagree about Diaz. I think he should be the first guy up when there's an injury to our OF. I don't think he needs any more time in the minors. It's time to see what he's got, and I'm betting that next season will see plenty of opportunities to fit him in around IL stints.

14 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Diaz is about to turn 24 and would have spent the entire year in AAA if not for COVID.  He should be given every chance to make the opening day roster in '21.

• Upvote 1

Yesterday's pre game presser with Hyde:

Meoli:  You mentioned Mountcastle playing 1B, is that a way to get all those OFers into the lineup with Hays back and Mullins and Stewart also needing playing time? 

Hyde: Yep

Meoli: Do you anticipate that being able to working out  often with all four of them getting playing time over the next two weeks?

Hyde:  I don't see a problem with getting all four of them in there quite a bit.   Everybody needs a day off here and there. And I don't see rotating  those four guys or  playing  three and Ryan at 1B  as any kind of  issue.

Hollander: On Ryan and playing 1B, obviously he has had some preparation there but given his history as an infielder is that going to be an easier transition than when he went out to the outfield?

Hyde:  I think so, yeah.  He has been an infielder his whole life.  He been doing some work  at 1B  here as well as at the secondary site.  He  played some in ST  so he is not unfamiliar with the position.  Its just not something  he grew up playing. But he did grow up playing in the dirt.  So we feel good that he can make the transition there and to get all four guys bats in the lineup he is going to play some 1B going forward.

https://www.masnsports.com/videos/2020/09/brandon-hyde-before-the-start-of-the-os-series-with-the-braves.html

Starts at 7:10

17 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Great, let's see if Austin Hays can play 9 innings without breaking or tearing something.

Whoever they move off the roster shouldn't go far, maybe just sit in their car in the parking lot.

They HBP was certainly not his fault. No one blamed Markakis for CC

17 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Why would you non tender Nunez and hand Santander a starting job?  

17 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

A sneaky play would be to nontender Mancini. Not sure what he'd be due to make in arb but more than Nunez I would think. Of course, nontendering a guy who is trying to come back from cancer would not be a good look at all but he was due $4.7M this year.