Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

16 minutes ago, Mendoza Line said:

I hope Ryan has a solid year.  He's been a really useful utility player for us over the years.  There's no reason why Sardinas should be on the roster and Flaherty isn't

It not a simple either/or proposition. Sardinas was in the minors. Flaherty did not want to start the year in the minors in Philadelphia. He would not have started the year except for in Baltimore if he had re-signed with the organization. Maybe you would prefer Flaherty over Valencia. But there was never a choice between Sardinas and Flaherty.

3 hours ago, OFFNY said:

Flaherty's super-hot start reminds me to a certain extent of what happened with Billy Smith in 1977.
For the first month-and-a-half of the 1977 season, I remember being very excited about Billy Smith being at or near the top of the league in batting average. That spring was the first time that I had ever heard of him, and I would brag to my brother Mark (Yankee fan) about him (and also eventually about Ken Singleton and Al Bumbry when they both went to the top 3 in the league in batting average as the season wore on.) In the pre-Internet, Pre-Cable TV days, I would excitedly wait for my mom to get home with the NY Daily News every Sunday when the league stats for all of the regular position players and pitchers were posted on a weekly basis, so I could read how Smith was doing.
As the marathon 162 game season wore on, Smith's batting average progressively dropped. By the time that the season ended, he had batted .215 in 411 Plate Appearances.

llImage result for Billy Smith Orioleslllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll 

o

Billy "Easy" Smith

44 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

It not a simple either/or proposition. Sardinas was in the minors. Flaherty did not want to start the year in the minors in Philadelphia. He would not have started the year except for in Baltimore if he had re-signed with the organization. Maybe you would prefer Flaherty over Valencia. But there was never a choice between Sardinas and Flaherty.

Yeah it was just an idiot move to have no utility infielder on the team.   Markakis is hitting well too.  I am guessing he would be hitting better than Satander even in the tougher American League.

18 hours ago, esmd said:

I still think there is an overall disparity in the leagues and divisions.  I'm sure someone will find some stat to tell me that I'm wrong, but it sure seems like guys that leave the AL East seems to see an uptick performance, and likewise guys that come into the AL East, especially from the National League, see their performance suffer.  I think that is as least partly in play here, because Flaherty just isn't that good.

Ryan was better when he played regularly like when Manny or Hardy went on the DL.

As for playing AL East, I thought my memory was, he hit Boston pretty well.

10 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Braves have announced that Jose Bautista will become their starting third-baseman once he gets himself into playing shape in the minors.

As I said on another thread...........not even the Braves have any respect for their current 3B man with a .900+ OPS.   If they did they wouldn't keep batting him 8th in the lineup.    O's should reach out to them.......we have a pretty big need at the moment with 40% of our starting infield hurt.   

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

I don't think it is. The Cubs weren't watered down 2016.

20 hours ago, Rene88 said:

It makes people feel better if they keep saying it though:)

So you guys don't put any stock in 14 straight years of losing the interleague matchup as a barometer for overall league talent? Also did you notice I said mid level talent and not the best team in the league? What is the better sample size, 300 games or 7?

I think there is a very viable reason that most of our guys that go to the national league do better than they did with us.

Edited by OsEatAlEast

1 hour ago, OsEatAlEast said:

So you guys don't put any stock in 14 straight years of losing the interleague matchup as a barometer for overall league talent? Also did you notice I said mid level talent and not the best team in the league? What is the better sample size, 300 games or 7?

I think there is a very viable reason that most of our guys that go to the national league do better than they did with us.

I think there’s been a clear talent advantage for the AL over that 14 year period.    But it certainly doesn’t translate into a .222 career hitter moving to the NL and hitting .339.    I mean, do you see Nick Markakis winning any batting titles now that he’s in the NL?

Last year, AL hitters hit .256/.324/.429 overall, .261/.331/.439 in intraleague play. The effect is probably a little bigger than that if you account for the fact that the pitchers bat in half the intraleague games.    But it’s not a huge gap.   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think there’s been a clear talent advantage for the AL over that 14 year period.    But it certainly doesn’t translate into a .222 career hitter moving to the NL and hitting .339.    I mean, do you see Nick Markakis winning any batting titles now that he’s in the NL?

Last year, AL hitters hit .256/.324/.429 overall, .261/.331/.439 in intraleague play. The effect is probably a little bigger than that if you account for the fact that the pitchers bat in half the intraleague games.    But it’s not a huge gap.   

In the end all I'm really trying to say is. That I'm never surprised when a player goes to the NL and does better...

Except for Arrieta :bangwall:

Edited by OsEatAlEast