Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

6 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

It’s possible. The Phillies has soured on him, but it still seems like an overpay.

6 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It seems fantastically ridiculous that the O's could land a guy ranked somewhere between #14 and #37 in all of MLB on the pre-2018 prospect lists for a 2-3 month rental of a replacement-level 32-year-old CFer making $17M a year. Crawford wasn't having a good 2018, but even if he'd fallen 50 spots that seems like a huge steal.

Absolutely agree it would be have been an overpay and most likely not true. Just relaying what Palmer said. Could explain why DD was so ticked though. Probably don't get that mad if you're getting Jack Zoellner in return. 

14 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It seems fantastically ridiculous that the O's could land a guy ranked somewhere between #14 and #37 in all of MLB on the pre-2018 prospect lists for a 2-3 month rental of a replacement-level 32-year-old CFer making $17M a year. Crawford wasn't having a good 2018, but even if he'd fallen 50 spots that seems like a huge steal.

Yeah I don’t know about this one from Jim. Crawford has two options left as well. Teams just don’t spur on 23 yo SS with options. 

Good to see Adam hit a walk off, had to see Adam use the word pimp. Not the biggest deal, but not so smart. 

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

Also, has he looked into how NBA players do financially?

I guess MLB don't go broke like the other two sports:

Sports Illustrated once estimated that 78 percent of NFL players are either bankrupt or under financial stress within two years of retirement and 60 percent of National Basketball Association players are broke within five years of leaving the sport. The average length of a career in professional sports is relatively short: 3.3 years in the NFL; 4.6 years in the NBA; and 5.6 years in MLB.

https://theundefeated.com/features/why-do-so-many-pros-go-broke/

[Note this article is back from 2017]

15 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

the ones that jump around on one practice squard to the next and dont really get to play much.

Probably no worse than spending nine years in the minors never making more than $50k in a season and most years under $10k.  At least in football with no minor leagues you don't find yourself doing a fourth stint in Kalamazoo.  You've already moved on to coaching middle school gym.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Probably no worse than spending nine years in the minors never making more than $50k in a season and most years under $10k.  At least in football with no minor leagues you don't find yourself doing a fourth stint in Kalamazoo.  You've already moved on to coaching middle school gym.

The numbers being cited don't include minor league baseball, the NBA's developmental league or the Arena league.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The numbers being cited don't include minor league baseball, the NBA's developmental league or the Arena league.

I would love to know their methodology for determining that the average length of a major league career is 5.6 years.    It seems to me, based on casual observation, that it’s nowhere near that high.    In fact, I’m pretty sure I did a long post about this once.    I’ll have to see if I can find it.    

Edit: Found it.

of all the guys who make a major league roster in a year, maybe 25% will be one and done, more than 50% won’t make it five years, about 80% won’t make it ten years, and 95% won’t make it 15 years.  

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30831-the-fleeting-nature-of-a-baseball-career/&tab=comments#comment-2243077

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I would love to know their methodology for determining that the average length of a major league career is 5.6 years.    It seems to me, based on casual observation, that it’s nowhere near that high.    In fact, I’m pretty sure I did a long post about this once.    I’ll have to see if I can find it.    

Maybe they are counting one day in the majors in a given year as a full year?  Using that logic Corban Joseph has had a three year MLB career at this point.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

good point.

Darren O’Day sighting!

O’Day pitched [in the GCL] Friday, striking out two in a scoreless inning (eight pitches). Manager Brian Snitker anticipates anywhere from 6-8 appearances for O’Day before he’s potentially promoted.

The right-hander is scheduled to pitch again Tuesday before shifting his rehab to Triple-A Gwinnett, where he’ll pitch Friday.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/day-riley-begin-rehab-assignments/wjZtO0RaqtPLa2tWdHOBxI/ampexp.html

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think a lot of NFL guys are in and out in a couple years and don't make more than the minimum.

There is an ESPN 30/30 on guys going bankrupt in sports. They have a bunch of ex-NFLers on there that made over $100 million.  Going broke doesn't have to do with only salary. 

12 minutes ago, atomic said:

There is an ESPN 30/30 on guys going bankrupt in sports. They have a bunch of ex-NFLers on there that made over $100 million.  Going broke doesn't have to do with only salary. 

When I was 25 I thought I was pretty well off making $30-40k.  I don't feel that much better off 23 years later, making substantially more.  I'm guessing it's pretty easy to settle into a reality where monthly $15,000 house payments and $3,000 car payments are normal, since you know you're going to be a star into your late 30s.  Then all of a sudden you're released at 27.

All sports need someone to frankly, forcefully tell all young players that there's a good chance they're going to be bankrupt in three years unless they set some aside and just don't touch it.  Even then it won't sink in for everyone.  Not when their first paycheck ever is a $3M signing bonus.  

Most lottery winners are back to where they were before they won within a few years.