FA 3B . Hmmm

Philip

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think you missed my point. My point was how Elias handles these guys this offseason should tell us if the team is in such financial dire straits that two coaches had to be let go because of their contracts.

This is simple about roles.   Holt is the O's 800 pound gorilla of the pitching management.  Whatever he wants he gets.  If he wants to be the major league pitching coach then he will be.  If he has someone else he wants to be the major league pitching coach then that will happen.  We just have to wait to see what  Holt wants.

Flores was left go because Hyde wants Fredi Gonzalez to be his 3rd base coach.    The fact that it saves money is a by product of the move.     JMO. 

Elias will save money on players.  Saves money on the coaches is small potatoes.

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

These happenings make me think that the O's will be for sale as soon as Peter dies.  I doubt the Angelos sons want to put any other their inheritance into the O's. 

I'd love to see an ELI5 version of the law firm's financials.

We just had Forbes proclaiming the team very profitable a couple weeks ago.

I think you have to try pretty hard to lose money when you own both a MLB team and the majority interest in your own RSN.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd love to see an ELI5 version of the law firm's financials.

We just had Forbes proclaiming the team very profitable a couple weeks ago.

I think you have to try pretty hard to lose money when you own both a MLB team and the majority interest in your own RSN.

Well, in fairness, this year is a pretty different animal than most.   But I’d seen an analysis on Fangraphs before the season Began projecting how much money each team was expected to lose, and the O’s were actually in the black.   https://blogs.fangraphs.com/a-look-at-the-gains-and-losses-by-team-of-a-season-without-fans/   And it seems logical that the O’s were one of the teams least hurt by the pandemic, for three reasons:

1.    Their gate receipts last year were 26th of the 30 teams, so they are losing less gate revenue than almost every other team.   

2.   They own the majority of MASN, which earns cable fees regardless of whether games are on or not.   

3.   On the other hand, fewer games means less rights fees paid to the O’s and Nats.    Those rights fees are equal, so they go back in MASN’s pockets equally from both teams but then get paid out mostly to the Orioles as the majority shareholder.   Net gain for the O’s.