Tony La Russa...?

Moose Milligan

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It really troubles me that society is at a point where certain members view repeated instances of drunk driving as a slight infraction.

I have to concur here.  Drunk driving is illegal because roughly 10,000 people a year die in alcohol-related crashes in the US.  It's somewhat unlikely that you'll kill someone or die driving after a few beers, but still... I try to avoid death whenever possible.

• Upvote 1

On 11/17/2020 at 3:26 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

I have to concur here.  Drunk driving is illegal because roughly 10,000 people a year die in alcohol-related crashes in the US.  It's somewhat unlikely that you'll kill someone or die driving after a few beers, but still... I try to avoid death whenever possible.

I’m not making light of it in the slightest( although I think three strike laws, where if you get convicted of a third time you’re sentenced to life without parole or some other bullshit like that, are horrible.)

And the fact is that it is not a felony offense. Getting arrested while driving drunk is not a felony. You don’t lose your right to vote, you don’t lose your guns. You may temporarily lose your License, as in the example I shared.
If you commit some other crime while being drunk, such as vehicular manslaughter, that is indeed a felony, but that’s not what we’re talking about regarding Tony.

So at least for the purposes of this discussion, it’s best to talk about what happened in this instance.

using cocaine in any amount is illegal and cant really be compared with DUI, but it is more clearly a fire-able offense. 

12 hours ago, Philip said:

I’m not making light of it in the slightest( although I think three strike laws, where if you get convicted of a third time you’re sentenced to life without parole or some other bullshit like that, are horrible.)

And the fact is that it is not a felony offense. Getting arrested while driving drunk is not a felony. You don’t lose your right to vote, you don’t lose your guns. You may temporarily lose your License, as in the example I shared.
If you commit some other crime while being drunk, such as vehicular manslaughter, that is indeed a felony, but that’s not what we’re talking about regarding Tony.

So at least for the purposes of this discussion, it’s best to talk about what happened in this instance.

using cocaine in any amount is illegal and cant really be compared with DUI, but it is more clearly a fire-able offense. 

The difference between driving drunk and killing your self or others while driving drunk is basically luck.  Any time you get in the car there's some chance of dying.  But add alcohol into the mix and those odds go up a lot.  Maybe orders of magnitude.

If all laws just punished people for the consequences instead of being deterrents then you could go 140 on the beltway and get a $60 ticket if you don't kill anyone.  I guess that's a philosophical discussion, probably veering pretty close to politics.  But there are a lot of people with poor judgment, who will take that risk even if it's 1000 times what a normal driver has.  Like 17-year-old boys, and Tony LaRussa.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The difference between driving drunk and killing your self or others while driving drunk is basically luck.  Any time you get in the car there's some chance of dying.  But add alcohol into the mix and those odds go up a lot.  Maybe orders of magnitude.

If all laws just punished people for the consequences instead of being deterrents then you could go 140 on the beltway and get a $60 ticket if you don't kill anyone.  I guess that's a philosophical discussion, probably veering pretty close to politics.  But there are a lot of people with poor judgment, who will take that risk even if it's 1000 times what a normal driver has.  Like 17-year-old boys, and Tony LaRussa.

I don’t mind having this discussion and it need not get political. 
theres a difference between what could have happened and what did happen. What could have happened is irrelevant. What DID happen is what matters.

in Texas if you’re speeding a certain amount over the limit you get arrested rather than just getting a ticket. But again, what matters is what did, rather than what could have, happened(there are exceptions but not in this case)

We live in a free society, where we have the freedom to make bad choices. Tony made one. But it’s not something to fire him over.

I’m surprised Philip is minimizing the seriousness of these DUI offenses.    First of all, DUI exponentially increases the chance of someone dying in a car accident.   Second of all, if you don’t learn your lesson from a first DUI conviction and become a repeat offender, you really are showing you don’t give a crap and/or you are so addicted to drinking you can’t help yourself.    Thirdly, these weren’t borderline cases that LaRussa was involved in.    Asleep at the wheel at an intersection with the car in gear?  Running your car into a curb and leaving it smoking? Bragging to cops about your WS ring as if that’s a reason not to arrest you?    I’d be very nervous about putting my baseball team in the hands of a guy like that.    

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Im surprised that Philip is minimizing the seriousness of these DUI offensesFirst of all, DUI exponentially increases the chance of someone dying in a car accident. Second of all, if you don’t learn your lesson from a first DUI conviction and become a repeat offender, you really are showing you don’t give a crap and/or you are so addicted to drinking you can’t help yourself. Thirdly, these werent borderline cases that LaRussa was involved in. Asleep at the wheel at an intersection with the car in gear?  Running your car into a curb, and leaving it smoking? Bragging to cops about your World Series ring as if thats a reason not to arrest you? Id be very nervous about putting my baseball team in the hands of a guy like that.

o

When I was in 8th grade in January of 1979, I remember the big story around school was that 2 Brewster High School girls (Sue Mileto and Karen Koenig) were killed by a drunk driver named Kevin Holiday in the early morning hours of January 1st. They were walking home from a New Year's Eve/Day party, and he was driving his car on the road. The laws for DWI in those days were considerably more lenient than they are today. Holliday wound up spending 2 years in jail for the fatal offense.

I recently looked up the incident in an old local newspaper from that time, and sure enough, only a few months before that tragedy occurred I saw that a young man had been arrested for DWI. The driver's name who had been arrested for that previous DWI was ...... Kevin Holliday. This was just one example of it not being "if" but "when" somebody with this particular pattern of behavior would eventually wind up killing somebody.

o

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Who had May 3rd in the pool for leaks complaining about La Russa?

https://www.audacy.com/670thescore/sports/chicago-white-sox/report-patience-growing-thin-white-sox-clubhouse-tony-la-russa-managerical-decisions

The development comes as no surprise after La Russa bungled a pair of decisions in a 5-2 loss to the Tigers last Tuesday. In that contest, he left ace Lucas Giolito in during the seventh inning for several key at-bats by the Tigers that undid the White Sox, with Giolito later explaining he was running out of gas. La Russa admitted he didn’t realize Giolito was tiring.

With the White Sox trailing by three in the bottom of the eighth of that game and the tying run at the plate, La Russa chose to let the light-hitting Billy Hamilton hit instead of using a power bat off the bench. La Russa was “looking for a single there,” he said afterward.

My guess is that Tony was too busy mixing himself a cocktail to ask Giolito if he was tired.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

So we should expect Tampa's manager to speak to Joey Wendle about his home run off Stevie Wilkerson in the 9th today.

And the next time we play Tampa, Wendle damn well better be ready to hit the deck because it's comin' in high and tight!

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

So we should expect Tampa's manager to speak to Joey Wendle about his home run off Stevie Wilkerson in the 9th today.

And the next time we play Tampa, Wendle damn well better be ready to hit the deck because it's comin' in high and tight!

In La Russa's defense he'd probably had a few before that press conference.