Roch: Most unsettled positions going into the off season

wildcard

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Looks to me that the plan is to home grow as much as possible and use cheap stop gaps until the prospects are ready.

Real long term moves involve either trading young assets or taking on substantial payroll.

But you have to start making some decisions at some point and there are young assets in other organizations that are blocked that we should be able to acquire.  No excuse not to make some moves.  

Not saying they need to spend money but you can get guys who could be long term assets.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But you have to start making some decisions at some point and there are young assets in other organizations that are blocked that we should be able to acquire.  No excuse not to make some moves.  

Not saying they need to spend money but you can get guys who could be long term assets.

I don't think it's that easy to find long term pieces on the cheap and I'm not sure Elias is at a point that he wants to start trading the O's more regarded prospects.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think it's that easy to find long term pieces on the cheap and I'm not sure Elias is at a point that he wants to start trading the O's more regarded prospects.

I think it’s pretty easy to identify talent and where guys are blocked.

Its not simple to acquire it but it certainly and can and should be done.

The non-tender deadline is going to be fun. I don’t know where we are in the waiver line, but that will be a fun time as well.

regarding pitching, we should take a flier on Collin McHugh. He was injured this season, but he had signed with the Red Sox for only $800,000 or so, and risking that much isn’t unreasonable at all.

havent checked to see which 3B guys might be available but it shouldn’t be too hard to find someone better than Ruiz.