#24 2020 Prospect: Kevin Smith - LHP

Tony-OH

7 hours ago, jamalshw said:

Honestly having someone at 24 that has a floor of a useful lefty reliever is not a bad thing. It speaks to some depth.

Just as an observation here, last year’s OH rankings included 17 players rated at 45 or higher FV, and 19 players rated at 50 or higher ceiling.    This year we are at no. 24 and every player has at least 45 FV and 50 ceiling.   That’s despite Hays, Mountcastle and Harvey coming off the list.    So yes, the depth of guys who seem like they could be decent major league pieces is expanding significantly.    

I think Tony said there was a drop off after 25 or so, so I guess we’ll see some players with a 40 FV or 45 ceiling within the next few players on the list.   

(I note that Stowers was only given a 40 FV last year, but 45 this year.    I’m not sure if that’s based on how Stowers looked this spring, or just Tony feeling more generous.)

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

Just as an observation here, last year’s OH rankings included 17 players rated at 45 or higher FV, and 19 players rated at 50 or higher ceiling.    This year we are at no. 24 and every player has at least 45 FV and 50 ceiling.   That’s despite Hays, Mountcastle and Harvey coming off the list.    So yes, the depth of guys who seem like they could be decent major league pieces is expanding significantly.    

I think Tony said there was a drop off after 25 or so, so I guess we’ll see some players with a 40 FV or 45 ceiling within the next few players on the list.   

(I note that Stowers was only given a 40 FV last year, but 45 this year.    I’m not sure if that’s based on how Stowers looked this spring, or just Tony feeling more generous.)

That was probably more of a mistake than anything. If you go into his profile, I gave him a  "Most Likely Future Role: Backup corner outfielder." 

That would make him a FV45 so I just made sure it matched. I have no information on what he did this year to change his evaluation once way or the other.

• Thanks 1

Some comments from Kennie Steenstra about Smith today:

“Very quality young man,” Steenstra said of Smith. “Got a very good sinker and four-seamer both. Has the ability to throw both of those for strikes. The slider was his best putaway pitch to righties and lefties. He likes throwing that backfoot slider to the righties. Very competitive and very intuitive in wanting to learn everything about our system, what we are doing and trying to get better. We felt he made some strides in the short time he was there.”

I asked Steenstra what it would take for Smith to make the majors and have the early success that Akin and Kremer had.

“I think it’s similar,” Steenstra said. “He’s got to develop a little bit better of a changeup. He’s got a pretty decent one right now, but just getting consistent spin and consistent arm speed with that pitch to utilize that more in his mix will help him a ton. But he’s another guy that with the Mets the year before put up some pretty impressive numbers for his age and experience level. I think he can do some big things in the next couple of years.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2020/10/checking-in-with-pitching-coaches-from-the-bowie-alternate-site.html