Analysis of 2020 Rule 5 Eligible players

Tony-OH

On 11/16/2020 at 1:07 PM, Obando said:

I think Elias will protect Diaz, Baumann, Lowther & Mattson, with an outside chance he could protect Bannon as well since he is close to the majors and can play 2B/3B.  Bannon did well in his brief trial at Norfolk at the end of 2019, and I could see another team taking him in the Rule V because of his versatility & gamer style.  Losing Bannon wouldn’t be a huge loss if he gets picked, but he’s a good guy to have around for depth, so I don’t know if I’d risk losing him.  I don’t think anyone will pick Zach Pop because he’s coming off the surgery and no one has seen him pitch in 2 years.  Otherwise, he’s someone we’d definitely have to consider protecting because of his upside as a late inning reliever when healthy and success he’s had so far in his short career.

I agree with most of this. I will just counter on Pop that we should not assume that no one has seen him. He has been throwing at a facility in Canada. Someone is seeing him throw. Many of these facilities have ties to major league scouts or coaches. People share info from these facilities all the time. It’s a network.

If Pop is taken, he’s 18 months out from TJ now. So he is throwing off a mound. He should be on a plan and be full go sometime in Spring, maybe May at latest, with no set backs. Plenty of ways to put him on IL and then go on a rehab assignment. Then do his 60 days on a MLB active roster and we lose him. 

My guidance on this is if I think he’ll pitch in MLB this season, and I want to keep him, you have to protect him. Mattson will likely be easier to replace than Pop, IMO. 

I’m not as high on Bannon, but there is plenty of room. 

On 11/16/2020 at 1:07 PM, Obando said:

I think Elias will protect Diaz, Baumann, Lowther & Mattson, with an outside chance he could protect Bannon as well since he is close to the majors and can play 2B/3B.  Bannon did well in his brief trial at Norfolk at the end of 2019, and I could see another team taking him in the Rule V because of his versatility & gamer style.  Losing Bannon wouldn’t be a huge loss if he gets picked, but he’s a good guy to have around for depth, so I don’t know if I’d risk losing him.  I don’t think anyone will pick Zach Pop because he’s coming off the surgery and no one has seen him pitch in 2 years.  Otherwise, he’s someone we’d definitely have to consider protecting because of his upside as a late inning reliever when healthy and success he’s had so far in his short career.

I’ve heard that there  is a gentleman’s agreement about not picking guys in certain situations. I’ve seen it discussed before and a guy coming back from TJS might be one of those. But I don’t claim to know.

On 11/16/2020 at 11:19 AM, Tony-OH said:

I knew an Orioles scout who told me when Sisco was in AA that he was basically Clevenger. I was like, "Really? you don't think he will hit better?" He thought the bat was slow and he would never hit for power. I do think he was wrong a bit on the power, but Sisco seems to have sold out any average for his new found power.

Sisco is bad. But Clevenger was also bad. But he did have one of two grand slams in an inning against the Royals. That was a fun game in a pretty dreadful series

If it does come down to Pop or Wells who would you choose?  Shoulda done a multi option poll!   

I think it’s a tough call, but I am guessing most here would say to protect Pop.  But I like Wells.   I love it when the underdog succeeds.   

Just now, RZNJ said:

Pop is more likely to get popped but Wells has the higher potential value.   I think Pop is more likely to become a ML setup man than Wells is to become a ML starter but relievers are easier to come by which is why I think both Pop and Matson are left exposed.     We should know any minute!

Yea I just figured most doesn’t think Wells will be able to offer much if any value at the MLB level.  Just the impression I get.   But Jamie Moyer....