Orioles Lose Zach Pop and Grey Fenter in Rule Five

weams

31 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yes of course, the reason I was asking was because I wondered if maybe the Marlins had exposed some fatal flaw that the oriole guys had missed, and therefore he was no longer as desirable.

His fatal flaw is that he has never pitched above AA, has pretty much not pitched in a competitive game in almost two years due to injury and Covid, and is trying to survive in the major leagues.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I’d rather have Pop than either of the guys we got.

Both Tyler Wells and Sceroler could proven to be more valuable than Pop.  They may add to the starter depth in the near future.   I would like to have Pop back though.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, owknows said:

People might argue over the particulars of which players (myself included)... but the fact that protecting players is becoming increasingly difficult, is a sign that your farm system has arrived.

Except this wasn’t a difficult decision.  They just made a poor move.

In general, I agree with your premise here but the Os had 5-7 players that shouldn’t have been kept over Pop.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Except this wasn’t a difficult decision.  They just made a poor move.

In general, I agree with your premise here but the Os had 5-7 players that shouldn’t have been kept over Pop.

Yes...  as I said, people will argue over the particulars. (And I think keeping Pop was a no-brainer)

But the fact that we have an abundance of players worth protecting is relatively new... and a sign of progress.

I tend to give current day front offices a lot of credit, and they've come a long way for sure. But the Dodgers traded four prospects to the O's, one of whom they originally signed for $15.5 million, for a half season rental. And the O's turned around and lost one of those four players in the Rule V for just $100k because they opted to leave him exposed in favor of guys who clearly would never be meaningful pieces for a rebuilding team. Without critiquing the Cobb/Jones deal (getting a decent prospect in a salary dump is a plus), we essentially paid $10 million and Alex Cobb to get Jones. My point is that for all the improvements from offices have made with analytics, how organizations value players monetarily is still as bizarre as it's ever been. 

This is just one of the affects of the pandemic.  They let the players get a year of service time when many of them never got any pitching in last year.  Pop had pitched 10 innings since 2018 and we had to make a decision on if we should have kept him or not.  They basically made a decision on that little long weekend mini camp when they got to see a lot of the minor leaguers for the first time in over a year.  It is like when you see football and basketball teams draft a guy because he has a good combine 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

This is just one of the affects of the pandemic.  They let the players get a year of service time when many of them never got any pitching in last year.  Pop had pitched 10 innings since 2018 and we had to make a decision on if we should have kept him or not.  They basically made a decision on that little long weekend mini camp when they got to see a lot of the minor leaguers for the first time in over a year.  It is like when you see football and basketball teams draft a guy because he has a good combine 

Or he's a two seam guy and the current think tank likes four seam Fastballs.

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Pop has now pitched 8.2 IP scoreless over his last 7 outings. 10k/2BB only 4 hits allowed. 

I guess Elias thought he couldn’t afford to keep a reliever over SP depth, and IF depth. Oh and Chris Davis. 

I have made my opinion known repeatedly on this issue since the day he was not protected. This will be my last post on this issue. It was a stupid decision then and it is a stupid decision now and it will still be a stupid decision 10 years from now. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, interloper said:

It was simply prioritizing innings over short-stint relievers. You don't have to like it. But that's the reason. 

They had open 40 man spots at the time iirc.

And that reasoning is awful.  How often are guys like Lakins and Sulser going to go more than 1 inning?  

If that is their reasoning, they are either dumb or lying to us.

• Like 1