Five player comps for Anthony Santander's arbitration case

Frobby

Its just the nature of the Rule 5, but I feel like the fact he didn't get to try to be Eastern League MVP in 2017, or International League MVP in 2018 is nothing about him.

As we're feeling good this week about an international class finally, Santander's bio hits me adjacent to that.  I don't know all his details inside and out but imagine he must have been signed around 16 or 17 if by the end of Age 21 season he was already Rule 5 eligible.   Its like we have a winner from the J2 class 8-9 years ago.

Here's hoping in four years we don't have roster space for some Carolina League All-Star from this week.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You aren't going to find many players that generate value in every aspect of the game.

I'm not attached to Santander but his OBP isn't a make or break issue for me.

It depends on what else he brings to the table.  Average-ish defense, low OBP, mediocre speed and good but not great power isn’t a tough combo to find.

4 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Because I don't buy into "injury prone" as a rule. If there's a degenerative issue, I see it, but some guys age into a lot of injuries and others age out of them. Others just never are the same again. 

I concede that Santander has to prove he can stay healthy though. That's why I said it was his achilles heel, and not the OBP.

I mostly agree with you.   By the way, Santander played 141 games between the majors and the minors in 2019 and had no time on the IL that year.    I recall that some of his missed time in 2017 seemed to be the result of the O’s manipulating his Rule 5 status, though not entirely.   In 2018 he only missed about four weeks.    He was in the minors when that season ended and didn’t get called up.   His injury history really hasn’t been that bad.   

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I mostly agree with you.   By the way, Santander played 141 games between the majors and the minors in 2019 and had no time on the IL that year.    I recall that some of his missed time in 2017 seemed to be the result of the O’s manipulating his Rule 5 status, though not entirely.   In 2018 he only missed about four weeks.    He was in the minors when that season ended and didn’t get called up.   His injury history really hasn’t been that bad.   

And he missed a lot of last year as well.

I mean, there has only been a few years of his career and you can point to him missing chunks of each season due to injury in most years. 

14 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It depends on what else he brings to the table.  Average-ish defense, low OBP, mediocre speed and good but not great power isn’t a tough combo to find.

Yeah. I'm not arguing that he's Mike Trout. I also don't think he's THAT easily replaceable. My guess is that with his profile any trade we'd make wouldn't be even money to bring back equal value. If we have another guy in the wings and he's essentially redundant, sure.

5 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Yeah. I'm not arguing that he's Mike Trout. I also don't think he's THAT easily replaceable. My guess is that with his profile any trade we'd make wouldn't be even money to bring back equal value. If we have another guy in the wings and he's essentially redundant, sure.

I just don’t get why we can’t get back that much in trade if he is as good as you(and many others here) believe him to be.

47 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I just don’t get why we can’t get back that much in trade if he is as good as you(and many others here) believe him to be.

You might actually be able to if he has a good first half and a team has a need at the deadline.

In no case would we be getting back elite prospects. We'd probably get guys who profile like the Bundy trade, but less of them. Don't get me wrong, I'd like that trade if, as I've said, the next group looks like they'll stick. If not, I think he could be part of a contender here if those guys don't pan out, so I don't just want to dump him.

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm squarely 50/50 on it. They could flip him right after the arbitration is settled and I wouldn't really be surprised. 

I think it's more likely than not that he will be traded. Also, if the DH thing actually happens in the NL, his value goes up. If it doesn't, I think Elias probably bets on performance and waits for the deadline because the right offer just might not be there now.

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think it's more likely than not that he will be traded. Also, if the DH thing actually happens in the NL, his value goes up. If it doesn't, I think Elias probably bets on performance and waits for the deadline because the right offer just might not be there now.

I don't think having the DH in the NL is going to move his value by an appreciable amount.