Thorne, Bordick, Dempsey and Tom Davis amongst those let go

Sports Guy

18 hours ago, Philip said:

Excellent idea. I’ve always thought teams could make extra money by putting up some radio kiosks around the stadium and letting people sign up to “call” a half-inning or so of a game, and take home the recording of their time. Good recordings could be submitted as audition tapes. Would be a terrific way to show how it’s done, complete with PDFs, station breaks, ads, and so on, in a harmless way, find worthwhile talent, create meaningful memories for the customer(“ I got to call Davis’ ten thousandth strikeout!”) and to make some money for the team.

You're three decades late on this idea.  Teams did it all the time back in the 1990s.   You could pay to do it on the club level overlooking the field at Camden Yards back in the mid-90s

7 hours ago, baloriole4 said:

You're three decades late on this idea.  Teams did it all the time back in the 1990s.   You could pay to do it on the club level overlooking the field at Camden Yards back in the mid-90s

Well I’m gratified to know that 30 years ago, somebody thought it was a good idea. However, how come it’s not being done anymore? It’s still a good idea

17 hours ago, Explosivo said:

How in the #@$% is Garceau back? He was awful. If you are saving money, how can you justify continuing to give that waste of space a contract? I understand getting rid of the rest but having Garceau in any capacity back again for another year not only makes no sense, it pisses me off to no end.

Almost all of them were awful, almost all of them need to be replaced, and only some of those who need to go did.

58 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I heard that Hunter is very down and depressed by being let go.

He had a nice run and was a good "ambassador" for the team.  It's good to see newer faces IMO (which may come at a more reasonable salary ? ).  I expect that he will find another fulfilling opportunity.

8 hours ago, bobmc said:

He had a nice run and was a good "ambassador" for the team.  It's good to see newer faces IMO (which may come at a more reasonable salary ? ).  I expect that he will find another fulfilling opportunity.

Jim Hunter can go shill for the Yankees the team he watched growing up in New Jersey just outside NYC. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2021 at 11:13 PM, Sports Guy said:

https://theathletic.com/2340440/2021/01/22/sources-masn-planning-major-programming-and-personnel-cuts-for-2021-season/?source=user_shared_article

On Friday, longtime broadcaster Jim Hunter tweeted news of his departure, which he said “was not his choice.” Others who were let go from the Orioles include Mike Bordick, Dave Johnson, Tom Davis, Rick Dempsey and Gary Thorne. 

Were reports of Johnson’s demise greatly exaggerated?   As mentioned elsewhere, he did color commentary on today’s broadcast.     Seems unlikely he’d be doing a spring training game if he isn’t somewhere on the regular season broadcaster roster.    

By the way, I watched Wall to Wall Baseball this weekend, for the first time since it went back on the air a few weeks back.  Tom Davis was doing the broadcast from the showroom of one of his sponsors, Pete’s Cycles.    Big photo of a motorcycle on the wall behind him and his guest, and an array of motorcycles and equipment on the periphery of the set.  I guess he can’t afford a real studio now that he’s off the Orioles’ payroll.  He used the whole show to interview Al Bumbry for an hour, which was quite interesting.   I believe Davis said this was a departure from the usual format, so I guess there won’t be other long form interviews in the coming weeks, just the usual banter.  

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Were reports of Johnson’s demise greatly exaggerated?   As mentioned elsewhere, he did color commentary on today’s broadcast.     Seems unlikely he’d be doing a spring training game if he isn’t somewhere on the regular season broadcaster roster.    

By the way, I watched Wall to Wall Baseball this weekend, for the first time since it went back on the air a few weeks back.  Tom Davis was doing the broadcast from the showroom of one of his sponsors, Pete’s Cycles.    Big photo of a motorcycle on the wall behind him and his guest, and an array of motorcycles and equipment on the periphery of the set.  I guess he can’t afford a real studio now that he’s off the Orioles’ payroll.  He used the whole show to interview Al Bumbry for an hour, which was quite interesting.   I believe Davis said this was a departure from the usual format, so I guess there won’t be other long form interviews in the coming weeks, just the usual banter.  

Kind of weird.   Wall to Wall is still on MASN but Tom Davis was let go.  How does that work? Must be that he was just not renewed for pre and post game show.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Kind of weird.   Wall to Wall is still on MASN but Tom Davis was let go.  How does that work? Must be that he was just not renewed for pre and post game show.

He produces that show himself.   And MASN can use the content.  

Just now, Frobby said:

He produces that show himself.   And MASN can use the content.  

And MY GOD Tom still has the sponsors! Long LONG commercial breaks.

Good for him! Good interviews with old players about the team now and the team then.