Cobb to Angels

Yardball85

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

Unless a signing proves otherwise, Elias and Hyde do not prefer Franco over Ruiz.  I do not believe that Elias is either stupid or lazy, despite your constantly using those terms.  Instead, he's made a considered opinion not to waste resources on a very marginal upgrade at 3B.  Galvis was necessary as we had no realistic alternative at SS.  As of now at least, Franco has been deemed unnecessary for this team at this point in the rebuild.

They did have an alternative but they traded him away to save a few bucks and get a prospect they could have just drafted themselves if they were as high on them as they say.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Unless a signing proves otherwise, Elias and Hyde do not prefer Franco over Ruiz.  I do not believe that Elias is either stupid or lazy, despite your constantly using those terms.  Instead, he's made a considered opinion not to waste resources on a very marginal upgrade at 3B.  Galvis was necessary as we had no realistic alternative at SS.  As of now at least, Franco has been deemed unnecessary for this team at this point in the rebuild.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They did have an alternative but they traded him away to save a few bucks and get a prospect they could have just drafted themselves if they were as high on them as they say.

And they have Martin.  Reports were he would be back in early March and they were trying to get him all offseason before Martin got hurt.  Third base was/is as big a hole as SS.

And it's absolutely dumb and lazy to keep running out Ruiz at third.  They are taking the easy, cheap way out.

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Would Brad Miller or Marwin Gonzalez be that bad? Too expensive? Better than Franco at least, right?

(I've not done homework here, so be gentle.)

They could work too.

Doesnt have to be Franco.  Just want someone better, especially defensively with the young staff we will have.

As a fan, I think the best part of the trade is that it indicates the O's will likely play more of their talented young pitchers in Baltimore.  I'm not really excited about Jones - figuring he'll be somewhere between 20 and 25 on their prospect list - but he's certainly better than what I predicted.    

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They could work too.

Doesnt have to be Franco.  Just want someone better, especially defensively with the young staff we will have.

Why do you think a Maikel Franco in an Orioles uniform in 2021 will help the Orioles compete when Mike Elias wants to in a couple years? 

Ruiz took a step forward in the power department last year and I’d rather not spend an extra couple million and see if Ruiz can do it again. 

Since 2nd half of 2019 for Rio Ruiz:

.224/.293/.442. 

31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They didn't have an alternative when they signed Galvis.  Iglesias had already been traded.  

4 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

Why do you think a Maikel Franco in an Orioles uniform in 2021 will help the Orioles compete when Mike Elias wants to in a couple years? 

Ruiz took a step forward in the power department last year and I’d rather not spend an extra couple million and see if Ruiz can do it again. 

Since 2nd half of 2019 for Rio Ruiz:

.224/.293/.442. 

I didn’t say anything about competing.  It’s pretty obvious I don’t expect them to compete.  Just a desire for an upgrade.

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But now they have the guy they drafted AND the guy they could have drafted. And a similar veteran SS for less money who could ALSO bring them another prospect at the deadline. There's nothing about this move that isn't smart for where the O's are right now. Iglesias was fun but he was barely on the field and his offense was highly flukey. 

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It would have cost 1.1m signing bonus at draft time.  

Just now, Philip said:

Re: Santander. Considering he was a rule five pick up, I would be delighted if he could put up two or three WAR for the next couple years. He’s certainly better than our other RF options. I hope Diaz will be better, but that definitely remains to be seen.

I'm lost concerning your fundamental lack of basic logic.

If:

It remains to be seen if Diaz is better

how can:

Santander be certainly better than our other RF options?

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm lost concerning your fundamental lack of basic logic.

If:

It remains to be seen if Diaz is better

how can:

Santander be certainly better than our other RF options?

What do you think the odds are that Diaz will be better (1) this year, or (2) ever?   In (2), I mean will Diaz ever be better than Santander is now.

My answers: (1) 10% and (2) 33%.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What do you think the odds are that Diaz will be better (1) this year, or (2) ever?   In (2), I mean will Diaz ever be better than Santander is now.

My answers: (1) 10% and (2) 33%.

I'd go a bit higher but that seems reasonable. 

My point is that 33 or even 10 percent means it isn't certain.