Pedroia retires

Frobby

This has been a long time coming, with his knee condition.   He finally got it replaced and now has to retire.   

I know a lot of O’s fans couldn’t stand the guy, but I thought he was a guy I’d love to have on my team.    

His retirement saves the Red Sox $12 mm, I believe.   

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30816259/boston-red-sox-dustin-pedroia-announces-retirement-mlb

14 minutes ago, Natty said:

Not a peep about the Oriole player who ended Pedroia's career?  Hmm. Interesting. Speaks volumes. 

Pretty sure you have mentioned it three times now. And if you watch that video and think it shows a player intentionally injuring someone, I don't know what to tell you. The immediate reaction was to catch him as he fell. It was a hard, late, bad slide and Pedroia was planted awkwardly at second and couldn't avoid the slide or untighten his leg, resulting in injury. Pedroia famously threw his teammates under the bus for repeatedly trying to throw at Manny.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Pretty sure you have mentioned it three times now. And if you watch that video and think that it shows a player intentionally injuring someone, I don't know what to tell you. The immediate reaction by Machado was to catch him as he fell. It was a hard, late, bad slide ...... Pedroia was planted awkwardly at 2nd base, and couldn't avoid the slide or un-tighten his leg, resulting in injury. Pedroia famously threw his teammates under the bus for repeatedly trying to throw at Manny.

o

Dustin Pedroia Grabs Manny Machado’s Back in Bizarre Sequence

(By Steve DelVecchio)

https://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/dustin-pedroia-grabs-manny-machados-back/364985

o

• Upvote 1

On 2/1/2021 at 8:36 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I'll give him props for foregoing the last year of his contract.  He could have easily just spent the year on the IL or forced the Sox to release him.

Yep, definitely shows the guys character. He knows he can't earn his contract any longer so he gives it back. It's not like he's going to miss a meal either. 

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Yep, definitely shows the guys character. He knows he can't earn his contract any longer so he gives it back. It's not like he's going to miss a meal either. 

Career earnings $127 mm.   The Sox signed him to a very favorable extension as a young player (6/$40.5 plus an $11 mm option for 2015), and then as so often happens, got burned on his second extension (8/$110 mm including replacing the 2014-15 portion of his prior deal).   Pedroia was worth 34.4 rWAR in the years covered in the first deal, an incredible value. In the extra years covered by the second deal he was worth 3.3 rWAR.    Even if you ignore the year he walked away from, that 3.3 rWAR cost the Sox $76 mm.