2021 MLB Mock Draft

On 6/12/2021 at 5:55 PM, ArtVanDelay said:

11. Sal Frelick

Outfielder, Boston College

5-foot-9, 180 pounds

Frelick has been a standout on one of the best Boston College teams in recent history. Possesses plus bat speed, double-plus foot speed, and the ability to cover tons of ground in centerfield. Disciplined hitter with a short left-handed stroke and a knack for the barrel. Frelick has begun showing a little more pop in-game this year. Archetype is still being established, but some evaluators liken the finished package to a Brian Roberts type of player. Regardless, he's a true centerfield prospect and the hit tool is real. It's a pretty high floor despite some impact questions surrounding the bat. Scouts would like to see a little action at second base this spring. If/when that happens, that versatility and skillset will only improve his value, especially in a draft year lacking many advanced second base prospects. Frelick is a good bet to get popped in the top 20 picks.

This description sounds very breakout Cedric Mullins-y.    We are witnessing the best couple months that kind of guy can generate, but that's not a toolkit I'm in love with for 1-5.

54 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2021-mlb-mock-draft-one-month-to-go/

Updated mock has Mayer, Lawlar and House going 1, 2, 3.  O's picking Davis at 5.

I would feel good about Davis. I see Frelick and Cowser mocked to the O's. The Cowser comp is Brandon Nimmo. 

Would love Watson or Jobe but I don't think Elias will go with a 5'9" HS SS (who might wind up at 2B) or HS RHP this draft. 

If the plan is a pick that banks money to spend later, that seems to point to Harry Ford or Sam Bachman. 

Would love Leiter but I don't see how Boston lets him pass.

20 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

I would feel good about Davis. I see Frelick and Cowser mocked to the O's. The Cowser comp is Brandon Nimmo. 

Would love Watson or Jobe but I don't think Elias will go with a 5'9" HS SS (who might wind up at 2B) or HS RHP this draft. 

If the plan is a pick that banks money to spend later, that seems to point to Harry Ford or Sam Bachman. 

Would love Leiter but I don't see how Boston lets him pass.

That Fangraphs mock mentions that some scouts see Ford as being able to play CF.  I had previously read that some think he could play 2B.  

2 hours ago, Hazmat said:

That Fangraphs mock mentions that some scouts see Ford as being able to play CF.  I had previously read that some think he could play 2B.  

Saw that. With a 6.42 sixty, he's definitely able to cover ground in center.

Here's a glowing article: https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2021/2/15/22281723/2021-mlb-draft-scouting-report-harry-ford

On 6/13/2021 at 9:05 PM, OrioleDog said:

This description sounds very breakout Cedric Mullins-y.    We are witnessing the best couple months that kind of guy can generate, but that's not a toolkit I'm in love with for 1-5.

I think if you could get this version of Mullins at 1-5, you'd take it and run. An all star level player would be a pretty good pick

Edited by seak05

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/31651109/kiley-mcdaniel-2021-mlb-mock-draft-20-new-no-1-gets-jack-leiter-kumar-rocker

bal.png&h=60&w=60

5. Baltimore Orioles

Kahlil Watson, SS, Wake Forest HS (NC), N.C. State commit

With GM Mike Elias' history of undercutting Carlos Correa in 2012 and Heston Kjerstad in 2020, it was inevitable that the paint-by-numbers projection here was going to include an underslot position player. The actual links this spring have been almost exactly that, with all four of the top prep shortstops, prep catcher Harry Ford and Sam Houston State outfielder Colton Cowser. Of those available here, Watson seems most like Elias' type, so I'll lean that way until more intel comes in.

• Thanks 1

Jonathan Mayo June 16th Mock Draft

5. Orioles: Jordan Lawlar, SS, Jesuit Prep (Dallas)
There’s still a lot of buzz the Orioles could cut a deal here, and many feel they like Davis on the college bat end, but here’s saying they’ll lean Lawlar, the top prep hitter available, over Vandy’s Kumar Rocker.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-june-16-2021

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Jonathan Mayo June 16th Mock Draft

5. Orioles: Jordan Lawlar, SS, Jesuit Prep (Dallas)
There’s still a lot of buzz the Orioles could cut a deal here, and many feel they like Davis on the college bat end, but here’s saying they’ll lean Lawlar, the top prep hitter available, over Vandy’s Kumar Rocker.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-june-16-2021

I wonder if his number is a little higher than others want to pay. If that is the reason, there is less chance he ends up an Oriole. A Vanderbilt commit, generally seen as the top talent available. The Witt comparisons are not that great. I think he is more of a Barry Larkin type guy. 

From what I have read, some think this draft has great value after the first round with depth for many rounds after. If Elias pays full slot, it limits what he can do through round 10, depthwise. But, maybe this is a year where he pays at full slot, or close to it, for a guy like Lawlar. How many chances do you get at a guy like this?

14 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I wonder if his number is a little higher than others want to pay. If that is the reason, there is less chance he ends up an Oriole. A Vanderbilt commit, generally seen as the top talent available. The Witt comparisons are not that great. I think he is more of a Barry Larkin type guy. 

From what I have read, some think this draft has great value after the first round with depth for many rounds after. If Elias pays full slot, it limits what he can do through round 10, depthwise. But, maybe this is a year where he pays at full slot, or close to it, for a guy like Lawlar. How many chances do you get at a guy like this?

Slot for the top five runs from 8.4 to 6.1 million.  That is a ton of money to turn down to go to school.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Slot for the top five runs from 8.4 to 6.1 million.  That is a ton of money to turn down to go to school.

Agreed, but he doesn't have to take below slot. He is 19, so he would re-enter the draft in 2023. He has leverage, but perhaps he accepts a slightly below slot deal if he likes the direction of things in the organization. I wonder who his advisor is.

4 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Agreed, but he doesn't have to take below slot. He is 19, so he would re-enter the draft in 2023. He has leverage, but perhaps he accepts a slightly below slot deal if he likes the direction of things in the organization. I wonder who his advisor is.

Greg Genske