Felix Hernandez signs with O’s

weams

1 minute ago, LTO's said:

Am I alone in being surprised at how young he is? He's two years older than Jacob Degrom and is a year younger than Gio Gonzalez (who I thought the O's might target). It really is so sad that the Mariners couldn't manage to make the playoffs once while he was there. He may not make the HOF, but to me he's a legend.

I'm surprised by how many people that are exclaiming how surprised they are at how young he is.  ?

He debuted at 19.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm surprised by how many people that are exclaiming how surprised they are at how young he is.  ?

He debuted at 19.

I genuinely didn't know that. It was certainly somewhat of an anomaly back then. He just looks so much older than guys he's younger than/around the same age as. He's a pretty hefty guy so i'm sure that plays into it. As does playing for the Mariners for 14 years.

Just now, LTO's said:

I genuinely didn't know that. It was certainly somewhat of an anomaly back then. He just looks so much older than guys he's younger than/around the same age as. He's a pretty hefty guy so i'm sure that plays into it. As does playing for the Mariners for 14 years.

Just wait until King Felix finishes his Oriole career. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t want to come off as some sort of Felix hater, because I’m definitely not.   Through his 20’s, he was as about as good as any pitcher in his generation.   But with very few exceptions, HOF requires top performance well into a player’s 30’s — especially to get admitted on the first ballot.    

I see four active pitchers today who are highly likely to get into the HOF — Verlander, Kershaw, Greinke and Scherzer.    Those are first ballot guys.     I think Felix falls short of that, mainly because he hasn’t been very effective in his 30’s.    

1 hour ago, LTO's said:

Am I alone in being surprised at how young he is? He's two years older than Jacob Degrom and is a year younger than Gio Gonzalez (who I thought the O's might target). It really is so sad that the Mariners couldn't manage to make the playoffs once while he was there. He may not make the HOF, but to me he's a legend.

He started at 19.  And racked up 190 innings in his age 20 season.  So he's been around for awhile but he started early and put a lot of innings on that arm early so it's not a total surprise he hasn't been effective into his 30s.  But longevity is part of what separates the guys like Verlander, Kershaw, Greinke and Scherzer from a guy like Felix.  I was going to also say that Greinke doesn't feel like a Hall of Famer to me but he's racked up 72.2.WAR and 208 wins against 126 losses.  

As SG mentioned, if Jack Morris is in, you can certainly make a case for Felix.  You could probably make a case for Johann Santana, too.  

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He started at 19.  And racked up 190 innings in his age 20 season.  So he's been around for awhile but he started early and put a lot of innings on that arm early so it's not a total surprise he hasn't been effective into his 30s.  But longevity is part of what separates the guys like Verlander, Kershaw, Greinke and Scherzer from a guy like Felix.  I was going to also say that Greinke doesn't feel like a Hall of Famer to me but he's racked up 72.2.WAR and 208 wins against 12 losses.  

As SG mentioned, if Jack Morris is in, you can certainly make a case for Felix.  You could probably make a case for Johann Santana, too.  

Dave Stieb.

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He started at 19.  And racked up 190 innings in his age 20 season.  So he's been around for awhile but he started early and put a lot of innings on that arm early so it's not a total surprise he hasn't been effective into his 30s.  But longevity is part of what separates the guys like Verlander, Kershaw, Greinke and Scherzer from a guy like Felix.  I was going to also say that Greinke doesn't feel like a Hall of Famer to me but he's racked up 72.2.WAR and 208 wins against 12 losses.  

Let’s not forget that Morris was a Veterans’ Committee selection.   

Santana is a pretty good comp for Felix — even less longevity, but probably even better at his peak.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Let’s not forget that Morris was a Veterans’ Committee selection.   

Santana is a pretty good comp for Felix — even less longevity, but probably even better at his peak.   

I agree, he was a vet committee selection.  We as fans denote who was a first ballot HoFer and who got in by the skin of their teeth.  But they're all in there together at the end of the day.  I don't particularly like that Jack Morris is in, IMO he is really in because of Game 7 in the '91 Series...without that, he doesn't get elected. 

But if Jack Morris helps guys like Santana and Felix get in - guys who were much better pitchers but lack longevity- I'm fine with that.

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Heck of a winning percentage ;)

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

He started at 19.  And racked up 190 innings in his age 20 season.  So he's been around for awhile but he started early and put a lot of innings on that arm early so it's not a total surprise he hasn't been effective into his 30s.  But longevity is part of what separates the guys like Verlander, Kershaw, Greinke and Scherzer from a guy like Felix.  I was going to also say that Greinke doesn't feel like a Hall of Famer to me but he's racked up 72.2.WAR and 208 wins against 126 losses.  

Wow. I think he's an amazing player. Always have. Love this tweet I saw the other day.