Konner Wade signed to minor league contract

wildcard

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Looks like he fits right in the competition to me.

Lopez  6.03 career ERA in the majors

Eshelman 6.27 ERA as a MLB starter

Goudeau  Has hardly pitchers above AA and when he did his ERA in over 7.00,  The reason he was claimed was a 2.07 ERA in AA in 2019

Zimmerman   4.89 in 7 starts at AAA:  IMO could use some time at AAA like  Baumann, Lowther and Wells.

LeBlanc   8.35 ERA as a starter in 2019:  8.06 ERA  has  a starter in 2020

Wade    2.64 ERA in 2019 at AA in 13 starts

I hope Elias keeps adding to the competition.

IDK why, but after listing all the stats you did, this word made me laugh out loud at work. 

6 hours ago, Ripken said:

We aren't trying to win this year.

What gave it away? ?

2 hours ago, jerios55 said:

IDK why, but after listing all the stats you did, this word made me laugh out loud at work. 

The competition to see who will get the first crack at helping us secure another top 3-5 draft pick, of course!

I'm fine with this move, even if it's just for AAA depth. Maybe he provides enough competition to motivate other pitchers, or perhaps this is the season things 'click' and he gives us 30 or 40 good innings at some point this season. Who knows? But he has 3 solid seasons of AA under his belt, has improved the 2nd and 3rd time around, and is worth a look this spring.

Seems a bit long in the tooth for a guy who's barely pitched above AA. Here's a scouting report from a Redsox site:

Scouting Report: Tall, medium frame. Likely filled out at this stage. Low 3/4 delivery. Slinging motion, heavy effort on arm. Doesn't incorporate lower half enough. Fastball sits 88-90 mph with arm side run. Changeup comes from consistent release point at 80-82 mph with similar run. Pitches off of his changeup, over-relying on the pitch. Also throws an occasional 78-80 mph curveball with vertical break. Doesn't induce a lot of swings and misses. Solid control. Helped pitch Arizona to an NCAA championship in 2012. Former 7th round pick by Colorado. Had been pitching in independent ball after five seasons in the Rockies system. Profiles as a high minors organizational arm.

https://www.soxprospects.com/players/wade-konner.htm

Looks more like minor league depth then a true competitor for the rotation, even with the current options. 

28 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Seems a bit long in the tooth for a guy who's barely pitched above AA. Here's a scouting report from a Redsox site:

Scouting Report: Tall, medium frame. Likely filled out at this stage. Low 3/4 delivery. Slinging motion, heavy effort on arm. Doesn't incorporate lower half enough. Fastball sits 88-90 mph with arm side run. Changeup comes from consistent release point at 80-82 mph with similar run. Pitches off of his changeup, over-relying on the pitch. Also throws an occasional 78-80 mph curveball with vertical break. Doesn't induce a lot of swings and misses. Solid control. Helped pitch Arizona to an NCAA championship in 2012. Former 7th round pick by Colorado. Had been pitching in independent ball after five seasons in the Rockies system. Profiles as a high minors organizational arm.

https://www.soxprospects.com/players/wade-konner.htm

Looks more like minor league depth then a true competitor for the rotation, even with the current options. 

Sounds like a right-handed and older Alexander Wells.    I am not saying this guy ever pitches in the majors but  when he is competing with major leaguer with 6.00+ ERA and guys with only AA experience  he fits right in to the ST competition.

I think Elias adds another starter that is better than any of these guys.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sounds like a right-handed and older and not nearly as good Alexander Wells. 

FTFY.   This guy finally reached AA at age 24 and has a 4.00 career ERA there.   Wells had a 2.95 ERA there at age 22.  Wade actually did slightly better than that in his third year in the EL at age 27, but he compares very unfavorably to Wells IMO.   

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

FTFY.   This guy finally reached AA at age 24 and has a 4.00 career ERA there.   Wells had a 2.95 ERA there at age 22.  Wade actually did slightly better than that in his third year in the EL at age 27, but he compares very unfavorably to Wells IMO.   

I said older

Both have high 80s fastballs

Both have change up around 80mph

Both have curve balls with vertical drop

Both have solid command,

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And one is much better than the other.   

Wells will probably get more chances to make the majors because he is younger.    I don't think anyone knows whether either one is good  enough to have a good major league career.

My comment was just about that what they throw and how they throw sounds similar.  From different sides.