Who will start the first five games in 2021?

TommyPickles

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Outer Limits is underrated.  At it's best it was as good or better than Twilight Zone.

Also Get Smart was genius.

I've never seen much of the Outer Limits but I think it might be on Hulu (or was at one point) so I might take a look, but I am quite fond of Get Smart, which I have seen, not only for being good in its own right, but also for inspiring one of my favorite cartoons when I was a kid, Inspector Gadget, and because it is referenced in my favorite Ramones song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH4XGRDJ0P4

25 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I wasn't implying that you were, sorry if it came off that way :leaving:

Haha, I was just poking fun at myself.   I’m 63 but the classic Marx Bros. films were all made 20-30 years before I was born.   The local stations used to run them at like 12-4 in the morning on the weekends when I was high school/college age.    If you’ve never seen any, they’re worth a look, especially Animal Crackers, Cocoanuts, Duck Soup, A Night at the Opera, and Horse Feathers.  

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Check out the episode I picked out.  It's based on a Harlan Ellison work.

Edit- Decent song for the Ramones.

I absolutely love "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream" by Ellison so an episode of a classic sci-fi series based on one of his stories definitely piques my interest. That will be where I start if I was right and the series is actually on Hulu. And yeah, Danny Says is a somewhat un-Ramones-ish Ramones song so some people who aren't fans of theirs that I have played it for over the years have ended up liking it.

(Also, how does one insert the video directly into the post? If you don't mind explaining it to a Luddite lol, but no sweat if not)

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If you’ve never seen any, they’re worth a look, especially Animal Crackers, Cocoanuts, Duck Soup, A Night at the Opera, and Horse Feathers.  

I've seen some clips over the years but never a full installment, but they seem like they would click with my tastes, so between your suggestions and CoC's, I think I might do a night of classics tonight if I can dig them up without having to resort to piracy. A couple of full length Marx Bros. flicks not on your list seem to be available for free on Youtube if nothing else.

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

Felix doesn’t make the team.

I see virtually no reason to think that Felix doesn't have an extremely good chance of breaking camp with a rotation spot when he has name value, looked pretty good in camp with the Braves last year, and when Means and LeBlanc are our two most experienced SPs other than him. He'd have to look utterly abysmal in ST to not make the cut, and I mean like "can't even get 3 outs" abysmal.

2 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I absolutely love "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream" by Ellison so an episode of a classic sci-fi series based on one of his stories definitely piques my interest. That will be where I start if I was right and the series is actually on Hulu. And yeah, Danny Says is a somewhat un-Ramones-ish Ramones song so some people who aren't fans of theirs that I have played it for over the years have ended up liking it.

(Also, how does one insert the video directly into the post? If you don't mind explaining it to a Luddite lol, but no sweat if not)

I've seen some clips over the years but never a full installment, but they seem like they would click with my tastes, so between your suggestions and CoC's, I think I might do a night of classics tonight if I can dig them up without having to resort to piracy. A couple of full length Marx Bros. flicks not on your list seem to be available for free on Youtube if nothing else.

I see virtually no reason to think that Felix doesn't have an extremely good chance of breaking camp with a rotation spot when he has name value, looked pretty good in camp with the Braves last year, and when Means and LeBlanc are our two most experienced SPs other than him. He'd have to look utterly abysmal in ST to not make the cut, and I mean like "can't even get 3 outs" abysmal.

Hit share under the video (it's the arrow pointing to the right) then copy the link and paste it.

I am invincible in these sunglasses.  I am the Fonz, I am the Jack of Hearts.

This is the new radio friendly version so no bad words.

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I feel very strongly that he’s past his expiration date, and I don’t think he’s going to be good enough to take playing time away from our other guys. I could be wrong, and God knows I’ve always been a huge fan of his, but no I don’t think he makes the team...well let me rephrase that. I don’t think he will deserve to make the team, but they might take him along anyway.

Regarding the twilight zone stuff, I watched outer limits a lot, but I never saw a single episode that I thought equaled the best of twilight zone. My favorite twilight zone episode is called “walking distance”, and it’s so beautiful. I never watch it without crying and as I get older it has more meaning, because I’ve become the father rather than the son.

6 hours ago, Matt Bennett said:

Means, Felix, Akin, someone from outside the organization, and Jorge Lopez. 

I actually would not be surprised if Kremer and Zimmerman start in AAA, but are called up before Lowther, Baumann, Alex Wells. Seems like Elias really likes to see mastery of a level before a promotion. 

I don’t think they’d put a rule V guy in the rotation, at least to start. 

I guess Leblanc could sneak in there over Lopez or the other signing I expect, but I’ll go with those 5. 

Means, Kremer, Lopez, Akin, Means 

• Upvote 1

So much to respond to:

Part 1:

Game 1 - King Felix. But he will only throw 16 pitches before he gets pulled from the game, so in order to save arms

Game 2 - King Felix. This game he'll throw 35 pitches before he gets pulled

Game 3 - Means

Game 4 - Kraemer

Game 5 - Akins

Part 2:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that when they were playing Vaudeville, Shemp was one of the original Stooges. He is, after all, Shemp Howard, relative of Moe Howard. So Curly is the Laughs Above Replacement player brought in when they started filming shorts.

Part 3:

When The Marx Brothers were doing Vaudeville, Zeppo was one of the original four Marx Brothers, and he not only was part of the original act but I do believe he was the guy in charge of handling the money for the team.

Funny story from a book I read several decades ago about The Marx brothers, they were renowned for just ad libbing their way through their routines, so much so that, during one show the skit's writer was watching the show from back stage and one of the Marx Brothers said a line and the writer was heard to exclaim "Hey, that was one of my lines!"

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Felix doesn’t make the team.

Means, Kremer, Akin, Baumann and TBA.

They have already said they will take it slow with Baumann.  He has no chance at making the OD roster.  I would bet no sooner than June because they will want to take some time to build up innings in his arm.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They have already said they will take it slow with Baumann.  He has no chance at making the OD roster.  I would bet no sooner than June because they will want to take some time to build up innings in his arm.

Well, I actually thought Zimmermann had a legit shot at #5; so I’ll bump him to four and add Lowther

44 minutes ago, Philip said:

well let me rephrase that. I don’t think he will deserve to make the team, but they might take him along anyway.

That's sort of what I meant too FWIW, although I am slightly more optimistic about Felix having something left in the tank based on his showing in the Braves' camp last year. Even if they take him north and it turns out that he doesn't actually have anything left, I would expect one of the other depth guys like Eshelman to be given his spot in relatively short order.

49 minutes ago, Philip said:

My favorite twilight zone episode is called “walking distance”, and it’s so beautiful. I never watch it without crying and as I get older it has more meaning, because I’ve become the father rather than the son.

I vaguely recall that one after reading at the synopsis on Google, and it does sound quite good, particularly Rod Serling's narration at the end, which has a genuinely poetic quality to it. A couple of my favorites include "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street," which featured some great performances and really captured that sense of Cold War paranoia that permeated many aspects of life at the time, and "The Invader," which is an interesting and kind of avant-garde episode that featured an excellent solo performance by a single actress and no real dialogue other than gasps and shrieks, along with a legitimately awesome twist at the end. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hit share under the video (it's the arrow pointing to the right) then copy the link and paste it.

Thanks, m8. I had been overcomplicating it and using the "insert URL" button in the OH reply window. Derp.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

This is the new radio friendly version so no bad words.

So holy moley, I REALLY dig this song, it's like someone tossed Cursive and Neutral Milk Hotel at their most rockin' into a blender and then sprinkled just a little 80s British post-punk on top, and I must say, I really like the taste of the final product. Thanks for recommendation, dude  :new_beer:

• Upvote 1