Trezza: What is the plan for Rutschman?

Roll Tide

Seriously, if we have a normal ST, week and a half of pitchers throwing BP, intrasquad games, then a full slate of ST games against ML teams... I could see an alternate site within the Sarasota complex. O's v. a team at Ed Smith, then there's 3 or more other fields where minor leaguers could work out. You could see some prospects brought into ST, then never sent out, at least till you have to announce a 26 man roster.. Because there's (supposedly) no where to send them out to till the beginning of April. MiL Camp won't open till then.

That's just unfounded speculation on my part, but seems like a possibility.(?) Maybe?

14 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Switch hitting Jesus Part Deux.

I hope not.  

We can kick off a whole debate about whether Wieters lived up to the billing...IMO, he didn't.  And that's okay, the projections and proclamations and predictions were a bit absurd.  Doesn't mean he wasn't a good player, he was a fine player.  An integral part on some good teams.

But I'd be disappointed if AR turns out to have a similar offensive profile.  

In regards to when he's up this year, I hope he's up by mid-June.  Can't wait to hear CoC's thoughts on service time manipulation.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hope not.  

We can kick off a whole debate about whether Wieters lived up to the billing...IMO, he didn't.  And that's okay, the projections and proclamations and predictions were a bit absurd.  Doesn't mean he wasn't a good player, he was a fine player.  An integral part on some good teams.

Besides his very obvious baseball skills, I like his leadership qualities. Coaches and players at Oregon State talked about it. Our coaches and players have talked about it already. He just seems like the kind of guy everyone likes and everyone looks up to. And I especially like that at catcher. The Field General.

Moose I think mid-June this year is a mistake. I'd rather see him maybe as a September callup (if that is allowed.) Not for service time considerations but he has very little time in pro ball. I agree with ME's mantra, give him at least half a year at Bowie then Norfolk. Or keep him all year at Bowie if they're going for a Championship. End of this year maybe but full-on next year.

edit: Make him at least see ALL the MiL levels.

From the article, Trezza on team's problem with starters going from 60 games to 162, filling innings.

What’s the solution? I think we’ll see some tweaks in strategy and roster construction. I think we’ll see six-man rotations sprout up around the league. But to be successful, clubs will need depth. I think teams are going to simply use more pitchers, and for the Orioles, that might have to mean young pitchers with little MLB experience.

Interesting. And very possible.

4 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Moose I think mid-June this year is a mistake. I'd rather see him maybe as a September callup (if that is allowed.) Not for service time considerations but he has very little time in pro ball. I agree with ME's mantra, give him at least half a year at Bowie then Norfolk. Or keep him all year at Bowie if they're going for a Championship. End of this year maybe but full-on next year.

I understand the reasoning behind service time and all that but if he is hitting the cover off the ball and they feel he is defensively ready then bring him up mid-June or whenever those metrics are met.  At some point you need to have reasons to get excited to watch the team.  If the catchers that are playing are doing decent then it takes the pressure off of bringing him up.  However if they are not and he is ready then bring him up in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, accinfo said:

I understand the reasoning behind service time and all that but if he is hitting the cover off the ball and they feel he is defensively ready then bring him up mid-June or whenever those metrics are met.  At some point you need to have reasons to get excited to watch the team.  If the catchers that are playing are doing decent then it takes the pressure off of bringing him up.  However if they are not and he is ready then bring him up in my opinion.

I agree, if he is REALLY doing well, and our catchers aren't, then go ahead. But I expect Seve and Sisco to be plenty "good enough" for this year's team. I mean, 70 wins is an optimistic prediction.

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hope not.  

In regards to when he's up this year, I hope he's up by mid-June.  Can't wait to hear CoC's thoughts on service time manipulation.

Me too.   He’s been so reticent on the subject to date.   

Back to Wieters, did he live up to the billing?   Obviously not.    Was he a good major league player?   Obviously yes.   There’s not much more to say.   

• Upvote 1