Update: Matt Harvey added to 40-man roster

MurphDogg

17 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Harvey is now the #2 starter in the rotation to start the season. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm actually more interested in Game #2 than Opening Day, now.

o

You're not alone ...... Harvey is also more excited about his start than about Means' start.

Matt Harvey Overjoyed with Chance to Salvage Career with Orioles

(By Greg Joyce)

https://nypost.com/2021/03/26/matt-harvey-overjoyed-with-chance-to-salvage-career-with-orioles/

o

o

Miguel Gonzalez, another pitcher who most people didn't think much of when the Orioles first signed him, gave the team 3 solid seasons and 1 mediocre season between 2012 and 2015 ...... I'll be very happy if Harvey can do something similar.

One thing at a time, though ...... let's see how he fares in his first few starts of the 2021 season.

o

Harvey might get 5-10 wins this season and if so many will say, what a good decision it was to keep him.  I say Harvey, while he has  had his day, is the Past.  Rebuilding teams s/b about the Future.  Veteran presence s/b about  managers and coaches etc.   

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

Harvey might get 5-10 wins this season and if so many will say, what a good decision it was to keep him.  I say Harvey, while he has  had his day, is the Past.  Rebuilding teams s/b about the Future.  Veteran presence s/b about  managers and coaches etc.   

Who is he blocking that should be up now?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

Unless the O's find some way to contend by July,  Matt Harvey, Mancini, Galvis, Franco, LeBlanc and maybe even Severino will be available in trades at the deadline to bring back prospects.

1 hour ago, Oriole1940 said:

Someone has to throw the innings. This team is so far away from being competitive that having Harvey pitching means absolutely nothing. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Pretty solid final spring outing for Harvey ...... 5 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 Ks. I got a report from a friend at the game that several of the early hits that led to runs were doinks.

o

Galloway: llllll We're gonna win ......

Lt Kaffee: lll Jo, let's not go crazy about this. We don't know who Markinson is, and we don't know what the log book's going to say. You just concentrate on Downey. I'm going to talk to Ross, and tell him where we are.

A Few Good Men' (1992) and the You've Gotta Ask Me Nicely Moment â That  Moment In

o

• Haha 1

On 3/28/2021 at 11:42 AM, OFFNY said:

o

You're not alone ...... Harvey is also more excited about his start than about Means' start.

Matt Harvey Overjoyed with Chance to Salvage Career with Orioles

(By Greg Joyce)

https://nypost.com/2021/03/26/matt-harvey-overjoyed-with-chance-to-salvage-career-with-orioles/

o

o

That was the glass is half-full version ...... here is the glass is half-empty take.

Matt Harvey Illustrates how Bad the Orioles Rotation Is

(By David Hill)

https://calltothepen.com/2021/03/28/matt-harvey-illustrates-bad-baltimore-orioles-rotation/

o

His major hangup seems to be that Harvey is pitching the second game.  I disagree that this means that Harvey is our No. 2.  It's a meaningless distinction based on Hyde's desire to split up Means and Zimmerman.  I actually think that Means, Harvey, Zimmerman and Kremer could produce decent results this year.  Really looking forward to seeing Bauman, Lowther, Wells and Akin at some point this season, as well.  I don't think the rotation situation is nearly as dire as he portrays.  

On a side note, I may have been drinking heavily today.  I seem to be in a pretty positive mood about 2021.

On 3/25/2021 at 12:49 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

Not just starting pitchers, but reclamation projects:

Joe Coleman
Bob Boyd
Jim Gentile (acquired at 26 for Willy Miranda and $50k)
Robin Roberts (released by Yanks after they'd acquired him for nothing from Phils after going 1-10, 5.85.  Won 42 games for O's)
Moe Drabowsky (6-18, 5.15 two years prior to coming to Baltimore)
Mickey Tettleton was signed after he'd been released by Oakland after hitting .194
Kevin Hickey
Randy Milligan picked up at age 27 for Pete Blohm
Sam Horn had a 122 OPS+ for the O's after the Sox released him
Mike Flanagan (1991 edition) 2.38 ERA in 98 innings after released by Jays
Rick Sutcliffe was injured most of '90-91 before winning 26 games in Baltimore at ages 36-37
Fernando started 31 games for the '93 Orioles after having been out of the majors for almost two years
Jamie Moyer spent his entire age 29 season in AAA before the O's picked him up
Scott Kamieniecki allowed 30 runs in 22 innings at age 32 for the Yanks before going 10-6, 4.01 for the O's
Jose Mercedes 14-7, 4.02 after having been out of the majors for almost two years
David Newhan was a 30-year-old AAA-opt-out before becoming Ty Cobb for six weeks
Todd Williams was very good for a couple seasons after being basically a 33-year-old rookie
Nate McLouth

You had some time on your hand this day, didn't you? ;)

Nice recap.