The battles I want to see in ST

wildcard

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

More interpretive comments from Roch:

Hyde expects Sánchez and shortstop Freddy Galvis to form his double play combination.

There doesn’t seem to be a competitive situation in camp. Write their names in the lineup.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/02/what-weve-learned-or-had-confirmed-in-the-first-week-of-camp.html

Obviously 

@OrioleDog already started a thread on it.  But looks like Valdez will be stretched out after all.   Should be interesting to watch. 

Orioles manager Brandon Hyde said Saturday that Cesar Valdez will be stretched out during Spring Training.

Valdez was outstanding out of the Orioles bullpen in 2020 -- registering a 1.26 ERA, 0.70 WHIP and 12/3 K/BB ratio while picking up three saves in 14 1/3 innings of work. The Orioles plan to build up his innings and see where he's at by the end of the spring before determining whether he'll be used as a starter or out of the bullpen. For those speculating on save chances in the O's bullpen, perhaps this means there could be one fewer arm to challenge Hunter Harvey for the ninth-inning gig.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

What about Valaika at second base?!?!?!?!!?!?!  VAAAAAAAAALLLLAAAAAAAIIIIIIKKKKKKAAAAAAAAAAAA

I think Sanchez is more a super utility player than Valaika.   Sanchez would play a better 3B and I think he probably plays a better SS.   So when Sanchez plays those positions Valaika would play 2B.   At least until Jones is ready for the majors.

59 minutes ago, murph said:

@OrioleDog already started a thread on it.  But looks like Valdez will be stretched out after all.   Should be interesting to watch. 

Orioles manager Brandon Hyde said Saturday that Cesar Valdez will be stretched out during Spring Training.

Valdez was outstanding out of the Orioles bullpen in 2020 -- registering a 1.26 ERA, 0.70 WHIP and 12/3 K/BB ratio while picking up three saves in 14 1/3 innings of work. The Orioles plan to build up his innings and see where he's at by the end of the spring before determining whether he'll be used as a starter or out of the bullpen. For those speculating on save chances in the O's bullpen, perhaps this means there could be one fewer arm to challenge Hunter Harvey for the ninth-inning gig.

Hyde said he stretching out everyone.  He wants most of his guy to be able to go multiple innings because he doesn't know what this year is going to look like innings wise.  Last year really messes up pitching this year.

Valdez could get starter innings and he said he is the only guy who has a chance to be a starter (out of his BP guys from last year) but stretching him out isn't exclusive.  

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I think Sanchez is more a super utility player than Valaika.   Sanchez would play a better 3B and I think he probably plays a better SS.   So when Sanchez plays those position Valaika would play 2B.   At least until Jones is ready for the majors.

Why would Sanchez play those positions?

37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why would Sanchez play those positions?

Who do you think will play those positions when Ruiz (assuming he’s the starter) or Galvis gets a day off?

Looking at who is in camp, it looks to me like Valaika, Wilkerson and Urias are vying for a utility spot.  Valaika played mostly SS in the minors but isn’t very good at it; Urias played more 2B than SS but has played a lot of both; Wilkerson has played very little SS and was primarily a 2B with a bit of 3B.   It’s really hard to tell what the best configuration would be between 2B/SS or 2B/3B when either Galvis or Ruiz is off.    I’m guessing a lot of work this spring will go into figuring that out.    

I also hope next year we are looking at a different constellation of players for these spots.   

I don’t know who plays third but I don’t we think see Sanchez there much, if at all.

SS is a possibility but they signed him because he’s a GG second baseman and that’s where he will play a large majority of the time.

There is a chance the teams back up third baseman isn’t on the roster right now...it’s possible the teams starting Third baseman isn’t on the team.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Hyde said he stretching out everyone.  He wants most of his guy to be able to go multiple innings because he doesn't know what this year is going to look like innings wise.  Last year really messes up pitching this year.

Valdez could get starter innings and he said he is the only guy who has a chance to be a starter (out of his BP guys from last year) but stretching him out isn't exclusive.  

Didn’t say it was. 

I do personally enjoy Valdez’s story however and as it was noted by WC for this thread, he may get a shot at starting, maybe not a serious shot and it’s unlikely he makes anything of it, but it is something I will be watching.   I hope he continues to do well in whatever role he ends up with.  

On 2/17/2021 at 11:40 AM, Aristotelian said:

I don't see Mullins as a threat to Hays. The only threat to Hays is Hays (i.e. health). If Mullins makes the team because of injury he is still a backup/4th outfielder. 

I also don't see Mullins as a threat to Hays.  Hays all be in the lineup.  but I do see a battle between Hays and DJ Stewart.  Not for the same position, odiously....but if Mullins shows he can play up the level of last year, I could see him starting, pushing one of the outfielders to DH leaving Stewart without a space.  Would make us a better defensive team.