Heyman: Yankees will pursue Teixeira hard...as we all expected, I suppose

DrLev

The Yankees will get pitching no matter what. The Orioles actually have a chance to pry away Teixeira from them.

Do you really want to see Tex in Yankee pinstripes 19 games a year?

The thought of that makes me ill...

Actually, he worries me more in an Angels uniform as they are a much better team than the Yankees at this point in time even though not in the Orioles division. I would rather see him go to the Yankees than Boston.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, he worries me more in an Angels uniform as they are a much better team than the Yankees at this point in time even though not in the Orioles division. I would rather see him go to the Yankees than Boston.

Boston has no need for them.

Are you serious Old Fan, I mean seriously. The Yankees will get pitching. They can afford that AND Tex.

You need to get what you can, we can get Tex. Go get him.

Are you serious Old Fan, I mean seriously. The Yankees will get pitching. They can afford that AND Tex.

I don't think they can afford him nor do they want to pay what he is going to command even if they could somehow afford him. Besides if the Yankees go after him that probably means they cut Giambi lose. Maybe the Orioles look at him then? He can play first or DH and they still have Huff. I just don't think I would sink all my money in Texiera. If they were a contending team I might think differently.

I don't think they can afford him nor do they want to pay what he is going to command even if they could somehow afford him. Besides if the Yankees go after him that probably means they cut Giambi lose. Maybe the Orioles look at him then? He can play first or DH and they still have Huff. I just don't think I would sink all my money in Texiera. If they were a contending team I might think differently.

Are you seriously considering GIAMBI?!

Why do you want old, admitted roider, can't play D, expensive and done in three years over young, better and a long-term investment.

Are you familiar with the adage "spend money to make money"?

Are you seriously considering GIAMBI?!

Why do you want old, admitted roider, can't play D, expensive and done in three years over young, better and a long-term investment.

Are you familiar with the adage "spend money to make money"?

Yeah, he wouldn't be a good fit for the Orioles now that I think about it but could probably be had cheaply and would be a good fit for a contending team.

BTW, I think this thread is pretty sorry in that the Orioles should not be worrying about what the Yankees or Boston, or Tampa or any other team does. They should be focusing on what they need to do to improve their team which is pitching, Pitching, PITCHING!!!

At least one Boston writer thinks the Red Sox need Teixeira, and they need him desperately.

http://www.metrobostonnews.com/us/article/2008/10/17/05/1723-72/index.xml

Yeah, he wouldn't be a good fit for the Orioles now that I think about it but could probably be had cheaply and would be a good fit for a contending team.

BTW, I think this thread is pretty sorry in that the Orioles should not be worrying about what the Yankees or Boston, or Tampa or any other team does. They should be focusing on what they need to do to improve their team which is pitching, Pitching, PITCHING!!!

Apparently you don't get it no matter how many times people spell it out for you.

We have PITCHING, PITCHING, PITCHING.

Maybe not for 2009, but we've got parts of a future rotation in the minors. This group of pitchers is more talented than the last.

What we don't have is HITTING, HITTING, HITTING.

Just look at the Toronto Blue Jays to see what only pitching will get you. You've got to have both and while we've got the makings of a future rotation for 2010, we have no starting infield besides Wieters. None. And there is nobody in the minors to fill those positions except for Brandon Snyder for at least 4 years.

So while our future pitching may be suspect, our future hitting is non-existant as of now. So I'd rather concentrate on adding pieces that don't exist vs. strengthening pieces that already might.

Since they are in win now mode, I don't know why Boston couldn't use Teix. Lowell is breaking down. Youk could slide over to third and that allows them to use their minor league system including a guy like Lars Anderson like they used Hanley Ramierez to obtain the key pieces to win a championship now.

Apparently you don't get it no matter how many times people spell it out for you.

We have PITCHING, PITCHING, PITCHING.

Maybe not for 2009, but we've got parts of a future rotation in the minors. This group of pitchers is more talented than the last.

What we don't have is HITTING, HITTING, HITTING.

Just look at the Toronto Blue Jays to see what only pitching will get you. You've got to have both and while we've got the makings of a future rotation for 2010, we have no starting infield besides Wieters. None. And there is nobody in the minors to fill those positions except for Brandon Snyder for at least 4 years.

So while our future pitching may be suspect, our future hitting is non-existant as of now. So I'd rather concentrate on adding pieces that don't exist vs. strengthening pieces that already might.

You never have enough pitching...some will not pan out as expected, others will get hurt.....you can NEVER have enough pitching. I've never heard the phrase ' good hitting will always stop good pitching' It's the other way around...You don't have enough pitching depth until you have 5 solid MLB starters, and 5+ studs chomping at the bit to get into the league. We aren't even close....this thread talking about adding a luxury item (Tex) to this Baltimore orioles team is laughable. That's like a construction compnay going out spending a fortune on a dump truck before they have a steady supply of hammer and nails.

The Yankees seem almost destined to sign Mark Teixeira this offseason, but while it's been suggested that Teixeira is seeking upwards of 10 years, $200MM, the Yankees may be looking to offer half of that, or "a deal in the range of 6 years, $18-20MM a year." Good news for the Orioles who look to be the biggest competitor for the Yankees in pursuing both Teixeira and A.J. Burnett.

I haven't seen this posted yet, but this is very good news. We can certainly compete with 6 years at $18-20MM a year. I think we're losing our heads a little bit with all this 8 year, 25MM a year talk. I wouldn't have any problem doing 7 years, 20MM or 6 years, 22MM. Especially if it keeps him out of pinstripes.

I haven't seen this posted yet, but this is very good news. We can certainly compete with 6 years at $18-20MM a year. I think we're losing our heads a little bit with all this 8 year, 25MM a year talk. I wouldn't have any problem doing 7 years, 20MM or 6 years, 22MM. Especially if it keeps him out of pinstripes.

Where was that quote from?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/10/olneys-latest-t.html

From Buster Olney. Not sure how reliable it is, but I want to believe.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=olney_buster

The Yankees will be seriously engaged in the Mark Teixeira bidding, but with some limits. There has been speculation during the past year that Teixeira might command a 10-year, $200 million package. But the Yankees might be looking to pay him a little more than half of that, or a deal in the range of six years and $18-20 million a year. There is an expectation within the industry that the Orioles also will make a hard run for Teixeira, as well as for A.J. Burnett, so it figures that the Yankees and O's might go head-to-head for those two players.

Archived