McGregor on Rutschman: "They're throwing it (fastballs) by him right now"

Tony-OH

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It depends.  If you had told us that the O's weren't going to extend Manny more of us would have been in favor of trading him.  I think by that point the O's knew they weren't going to extend him.

See this is an argument I don’t get. 

Trade players coming off of a playoff season is smart but what the Orioles are doing now is tanking?

The 17 team had a much, much higher probability of a playoff performance than this team does. 

The Orioles, Tigers and Royals basically all did the same thing, they pushed their competitive window as far as possible. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He's no fool.  That guy knows Pittsburgh can't build a winner, he's outta there ASAP.  

I think it's more about betting on his ability to get more money later instead of locking in a lesser amount now.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He's no fool.  That guy knows Pittsburgh can't build a winner, he's outta there ASAP.  

His minor league stats are pretty average. .752 OPS career in minors, not really any increase in AAA. He could be costing himself millions as well. I dont know his defensive reputation. If he's plus with the glove at 3B, that really improves his situation. If he's only average or worse, then I dont know what he's thinking.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Remember this is preliminary, and the results are not fully in context (park effects, varying levels of catchers they're comparing to, etc). So I'd guess that more mature results will be less extreme.  Mike Scioscia may not be the best defensive player of all time. :)

I would take these with huge grains of salt. Cool theory, but not sure framing can be really determined without pitch locations.

13 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I would take these with huge grains of salt. Cool theory, but not sure framing can be really determined without pitch locations.

Yea, I haven't fully bought into it, either.  Discovering large impacts requires lots of data and evidence. 

Although it does have a pretty high correlation to the framing data from recent pitch tracking, and that suggests many catchers have a large impact.

13 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

They probably tried a similar extension Acuna got but probably less...and we see now that was a mistake, so he won’t be doing that.

Yeah, pretty much every halfway decent player gets offered an extension as a rookie for $12-20 million and a bunch of team friendly option years. Very few players sign them, Salvador Perez and Evan Longoria were notable exceptions that did sign them. Mancini talked about receiving one in the article about his cancer recovery in the Athletic.

On 3/23/2021 at 4:28 PM, murph said:

Try introductory fast pitch softball with middle school girls.  The games were only about passed balls, missed third strikes and stealing.   Was painful to coach and watch.  And that is no slight to the girls at all, like anything first learning mechanics of a sport is just tough.  And the pitching mechanics of girls fast pitch was something I could not help with at all.   Tried all season to do it myself and couldn't do it, just terrified the girls who stood in there box while I tried (didn't help that I was terrified of hitting any of them, so everything went waayyy outside or wayyyy over everyone's head). 

Don’t mean to derail this thread, but when I was in college I was an umpire for beer and gas money and worked mostly high school JV baseball games, youth travel baseball also. The assignor called me at about 3:00 on a random Tuesday and asked if I could work a high school JV softball game because the assigned umpire couldn’t make it. I told him “I don’t know the rules”, he gave me a 35 second crash course and I worked the game. OH. MY. GOSH. Now granted both teams were flat out bad but I kid you not the score ended up being about 32-27. The number of walks in that game was off the charts. I could have made the strike zone the brim to the ankles and there would have still been an insane amount of walks(which I definitely did by about the 3 inning).. Every other pitch was in the dirt or 4 feet over the batter’s head. The game started at 3:45. Fast pitch is supposed to move quickly right? I had a 6:00 travel baseball game that night I did not make because of this game. This was pre cell phone too so after the softball game I had to race to find a pay phone at a High’s store to call the assignor at 6:10 to tell him I obviously was not making that travel game. It was a nightmare. 

Edited by TWpj
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yea, I haven't fully bought into it, either.  Discovering large impacts requires lots of data and evidence. 

Although it does have a pretty high correlation to the framing data from recent pitch tracking, and that suggests many catchers have a large impact.

I do believe framing has impact and I'm certainly willing to look at the data results and see if there is correlation, but I just think it's very tough to realistically understand framing ability by catchers before pitch location data was available.