The Catching Situation

Legend_Of_Joey

36 minutes ago, Philip said:

Seriously, do Sisco/Severino REALLY hit well enough to make up for that defense?

Depends what you mean.    Is either an average major league starting catcher?   No.   Are they better than replacement level players?   Yes, by a bit.   

46 minutes ago, Philip said:

If Sevi is the best we have, then good help us. And if his offense is good enough to make up for his defense, well, I’m not seeing it.

Flahrt was our emergency catcher. I wouldn’t mind seeing if he can still put on the gear.

Seriously, do Sisco/Severino REALLY hit well enough to make up for that defense?

Here is my question: Do you really want their defense and pitch calling with the younger pitchers? Do you trust them to guide them pitcher through the game and through a jam? Have confidence in their breaking ball not being sent to the backdrop? Severino couldn’t even keep a fastball from getting away today and decided a game of long toss with Hays was more important.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

Ryan Flaherty is an advance scout and developmental coach for the San Diego Padres now.

And he's married to Nick Markakis' wife's sister.

The things you can learn on Wikipedia.   Some of them are even true.

Yes haha I know all that. And yet I’d STILL be willing to give him a shot hahaha.

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Here is my question: Do you really want their defense and pitch calling with the younger pitchers? Do you trust them to guide them pitcher through the game and through a jam? Have confidence in their breaking ball not being sent to the backdrop? Severino couldn’t even keep a fastball from getting away today and decided a game of long toss with Hays was more important.

No of course not. I’d be happy to send each on his way and have good defenders behind the plate.

But they must offer something. I was wondering if their offensive contribution were really enough to overcome their defense.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Depends what you mean.    Is either an average major league starting catcher?   No.   Are they better than replacement level players?   Yes, by a bit.   

I’m asking whether their defense is adequately compensated for by their offense. And the defense is so bad their offense must be phenomenal.

i realize that each hits slightly above the average for catchers( or WRC, not sure which stat you mentioned) but I think their marginally above average offense doesn’t compensate.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m asking whether their defense is adequately compensated for by their offense. And the defense is so bad their offense must be phenomenal.

i realize that each hits slightly above the average for catchers( or WRC, not sure which stat you mentioned) but I think their marginally above average offense doesn’t compensate.

Except the part that their history of defense in the majors isn't that bad.  It is only to your eyes that the bar is raised so high their offense must be phenomenal to compensate.

Both Sisco and Severino are rated as being above replacement level for their careers.  So the people who judge this sort of a thing for a living, feel their offense has historically compensated for their defense.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I agree with you. For those arguing that players can learn what they need at the major-league level, it's crucial to have pitchers learning with knowledgeable, defensively competent catchers. Learning doesn't mean getting into bad habits or not throwing the curve for fear it will be missed.

29 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Both Wynns and Ciuffo are better defensive catchers that don't hit  as well.   The O's don't need to go searching for those type of catchers.  They have them.

Perhaps they are searching for competent defensive catchers who hit better than Wynns (.610 OPS in 192 PA; .699 in 1985 PA in the minors) or Ciuffo (.529 OPS in 50 PA; .637 in 1844 PA in the minors).

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Perhaps they are searching for competent defensive catchers who hit better than Wynns (.610 OPS in 192 PA; .699 in 1985 PA in the minors) or Ciuffo (.529 OPS in 50 PA; .637 in 1844 PA in the minors).

Yes, I agree.  Just making the point that the O's have better defensive options that don't hit well.   I am sure they would like better options that both hit and play good defense if they cost nothing.  Good luck finding that.

6 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Well, with 1 game to go in the Spring, Sisco hasn’t shown any life while Severino has atleast looked like he has cared at the plate (not so much when he is behind it.)

Yolmer Sanchez was a surprising DFA. Could another one be coming?

If Elias can find someone better on the waiver wire.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Well, with 1 game to go in the Spring, Sisco hasn’t shown any life while Severino has atleast looked like he has cared at the plate (not so much when he is behind it.)

Yolmer Sanchez was a surprising DFA. Could another one be coming?

I don’t think it’s a crazy idea. My guess is both are here but it’s a possibility.