Gunnar Henderson 2021

Just Regular

Has anyone ever seen someone go oppo this much for homers? Vlad Jr has 8 this season, and I think that leads the majors. I have to think Gunnar has more than that. 

Anyone who’s seen him play: does the defense shift against him or play him straight? According to fangraphs, he distributes the ball very evenly to all parts of the field. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

2-for-2 to open Game 2 and momentarily break the High-A Mendoza line.

I looked up his and Westburg's innings afield recently and both were at about 60% shortstop.

Finished 3 for 4, .207/.327/.366.   He’s coming along.  

9 hours ago, bpilktree said:

He looks to have made the adjustment to the next level after dreadful start.    His biggest question now is can he start hitting lefties as well.  He has really struggled at both levels vs lefties.

I didn't know this, so I looked it up.

Versus LHP - .195 avg, .313 OBP, .654 OPS

Versus RHP - .360 avg, .394 obp, 1.064 OPS

The one thing about his LHP stats is it looks like he walks a lot. 7% walk rate against RHP. 17% against LHP. 

• Upvote 2

It took Gunnar 11 games to adjust to Hi A pitching, where he only got one hit in those 11 games.   But in the last 17, he’s slashed .328/.395/.567 there, raising his overall slash line to .235/.358/.398.    Would you bet against him finishing the season over .800 OPS at Aberdeen?   I sure wouldn’t.   

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

It took Gunnar 11 games to adjust to Hi A pitching, where he only got one hit in those 11 games.   But in the last 17, he’s slashed .328/.395/.567 there, raising his overall slash line to .235/.358/.398.    Would you bet against him finishing the season over .800 OPS at Aberdeen?   I sure wouldn’t.   

The way he’s been going, I wouldn’t bet against him finishing over .900.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

He almost topped .800 one day later, reaching .797 after doubling in 2 of his first 3 at bats.  But he made outs his last two times up to drop to .783.    Still, it’s a new high water mark for him and he’s got a lot of momentum.  

• Upvote 1