NL VP of Scouting : " It’s embarrassing to the sport what they’re doing, or aren’t doing."

jamesenoch

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Thanks

Sorry, it makes no sense to pay him as there is clearly not 5 guys on this roster to perform at the MLB level. IMO

You had to pay him to trade him.  That’s why it makes sense.  

How he compares to our staff is irrelevant in that context.

To the point about the O’s not signing the better minor league free agents, I recall reading that the Astros had a philosophy of not bringing in many older MiL players to fill gaps in their farm system, preferring to give opportunities to their home grown guys.    Particularly this year with minor league contraction, that seems like a very defensible philosophy.   It certainly doesn’t embarrass me.   

The Orioles have a top 5 farm system, are developing a state of the art Domincan facility to finally compete there and have potential future ML pieces all throughout the roster. How this guy could single them out when there are teams like the Pirates and Rockies in his own league, is crazy. The Orioles compete in the American League East and have had the worst record in baseball ONCE in the past 30 odd years. Coincidentally, it was a year they weren't even "tanking." I expect to see a lot more of these comments from large market front offices in the coming years. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, LTO's said:

The Orioles have a top 5 farm system, are developing a state of the art Domincan facility to finally compete there and have potential future ML pieces all throughout the roster. How this guy could single them out when there are teams like the Pirates and Rockies in his own league, is crazy. The Orioles compete in the American League East and have had the worst record in baseball ONCE in the past 30 odd years. Coincidentally, it was a year they weren't even "tanking." I expect to see a lot more of these comments from large market front offices in the coming years. 

They were certainly "tanking" in 2018.  You don't trade off everyone you can because you are trying to win.

Now granted they were not "Tanking" in April but by late May?

As for more comments in the coming years?  Yea I expect when Elias announcing they aren't bringing in any players in 2022 and aren't expecting to compete that teams will say something off the record.

1 minute ago, LTO's said:

It could just be someone with a grudge against the Orioles. I'll take the current state of affairs over signing veterans like David Segui and Marty Cordova in the 00's and pretending that's the way to build a contending playoff team. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To the point about the O’s not signing the better minor league free agents, I recall reading that the Astros had a philosophy of not bringing in many older MiL players to fill gaps in their farm system, preferring to give opportunities to their home grown guys.    Particularly this year with minor league contraction, that seems like a very defensible philosophy.   It certainly doesn’t embarrass me.   

Agreed.  I'd much rather have Diaz, Jones, Bannon, Nevin, Vavra, McKenna, Martin, Bauman, Lowther, Wells, Akin, etal. at Norfolk than a bunch of AAAA retreads.  That was the lamest criticism I've seen about our FO.

45 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well what are the other options?  Lying to your fanbase that THIS IS THE YEAR like the Orioles did to us from '98 to 2011?  Pretending like they've got a shot this year?

It takes as long as it takes, quite frankly I'm not exactly worried with how long this is taking.  I was born in late '81, this team has been $#%& for practically my entire life with a few blips on the radar here and there.  Miss me with the THEY NEED TO CONTEND NOW talk, I don't care if it's this year or next, so long as it happens.  I've been conditioned for my entire life to realize that they'll always be mediocre to terrible, anything else is a pleasant surprise.

There is a space between lying to your fanbase and pretending they have a shot and actually having a ML second baseman on the roster a few days before the season starts.  I'd like the O's to be inhabiting that space.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

There is a space between lying to your fanbase and pretending they have a shot and actually having a ML second baseman on the roster a few days before the season starts.  I'd like the O's to be inhabiting that space.

Right, because having an ML second baseman is the biggest problem with this team as currently constructed.

58 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What profits with no one in the seats?

Oh right, MASN money!  Sweet glorious MASN MONEY!

As an aside, I heard John Ourand (??) on a podcast this AM talking about MASN. He said that money for RSNs is really drying up in general, and that the Nats ultimate goal is to have control over their own TV rights. That means a separation from MASN.

That was his reasoning for the massive cutbacks. He thinks the MASNs of the world are walking a tight rope between cable companies and allowing streaming and that they're in a really tough spot.

Nothing earth shattering, but if the Nats are really on the path to separate from MASN, the revenues from that vehicle tank even more.

9 minutes ago, LTO's said:

The facility in the DR is irrelevant to this discussion and his point.

And they don’t get a pat on the back for doing something most teams have been doing for years.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They were certainly "tanking" in 2018.  You don't trade off everyone you can because you are trying to win.

Now granted they were not "Tanking" in April but by late May?

As for more comments in the coming years?  Yea I expect when Elias announcing they aren't bringing in any players in 2022 and aren't expecting to compete that teams will say something off the record.

Yes, the Os started to tank in 2018 but it didn’t start that way and Elias wasn’t here. This is essentially year 3, maybe you could say year 3.5.

Still, it’s not necessary to keep doing it either.

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

As an aside, I heard John Ourand (??) on a podcast this AM talking about MASN. He said that money for RSNs is really drying up in general, and that the Nats ultimate goal is to have control over their own TV rights. That means a separation from MASN.

That was his reasoning for the massive cutbacks. He thinks the MASNs of the world are walking a tight rope between cable companies and allowing streaming and that they're in a really tough spot.

Nothing earth shattering, but if the Nats are really on the path to separate from MASN, the revenues from that vehicle tank even more.

I think MASN longterm to survive is going to have to partner with Fox Sports Networks because there is no reason besides the Orioles to ever watch MASN. Well unless you really like Heartland Poker Tour. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think MASN longterm to survive is going to have to partner with Fox Sports Networks because there is no reason besides the Orioles to ever watch MASN. Well unless you really like Heartland Poker Tour. 

With the Angelos also involved with MASN, thats probably not going to happen.