John Means 2021

Il BuonO

16 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Watching the rerun of this game, I'm struck by how stingy the home plate umpire was. Means could have finished this in 100 pitches with even a slightly bigger zone. I wonder if he's going to get friendlier more Glavine-like umpiring now that his fame and reputation is blowing up around the league.

He's on the Orioles, so no. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is going to be interesting to see as the summer goes on.  If Means can keep throwing like he's throwing, he will have a good chance to win the Cy Young.  Obviously, it's too early to tell but he's got to be the frontrunner right now.

Bieber is 3-2 with a 2.98 ERA and a 1.076 WHIP.  He leads the league in strikeouts so far with 77.  His WAR is 1.5.

Cole is 4-1 with a 1.43 ERA, 0.717 WHIP. And he's striking out an absurd 14.8 per 9.  Only 37.2 innings pitched.  1.6 WAR

Didn't realized Danny Duffy was the ERA leader at 0.60.  

Means doesn't pitch in the right market. Plus, to your point, he's got like 25 more starts God willing.

Not to be a wet blanket or anything...

John Means one pitch better than HOFer Mike Mussina.

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/03/sports/baseball-mussina-misses-yankees-4th-perfect-game-by-one-pitch.html

One thing that I never expected is to see was Severino calling a no hit game.  But he did.  Means barely shook off Severino's calls all game.  Sevy is getting a lot of grief for not catching a catchable wild pitch but no one will ever take away that he called a no hitter.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is going to be interesting to see as the summer goes on.  If Means can keep throwing like he's throwing, he will have a good chance to win the Cy Young.  Obviously, it's too early to tell but he's got to be the frontrunner right now.

I’ll start thinking about that if Means is still among the league leaders in August.   I hope he is, but let’s face it, we’re 20% of the way through a long season and lots of pitchers will have their hot spells, cold spells and injuries between now and the end of the season.  

In any event, it’s fun to contemplate.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ll start thinking about that if Means is still among the league leaders in August.   I hope he is, but let’s face it, we’re 20% of the way through a long season and lots of pitchers will have their hot spells, cold spells and injuries between now and the end of the season.  

In any event, it’s fun to contemplate.  

I'm just grateful that I got to witness that performance yesterday. He was outstanding hitting his spots with his fastball. 

He did groove one in the 9th against the 2nd guy, who swung and missed. 92mph middle/middle - it was one of the few misses I saw him have with his fastball all day. 

John Means Tested the Limits of What a No-Hitter Could Be

A fan unfamiliar with the minutiae of the baseball rule book might wonder why Means’s dominant start wasn’t considered a perfect game. After all, he faced the minimum number of batters without allowing a walk, hit-by-pitch, or an error. For Means, his dalliance with perfection was thwarted by a wild pitch on a third strike, allowing Sam Haggerty to reach base. He was the 12th pitcher to face 27 batters in a no-hitter without throwing a perfect game. It was the first no-hitter in Major League history where the only baserunner reached on a dropped third strike.

An argument could be made to get rid of the passed ball-strikeout rule, since it really does make little sense. Its an oddity that for some reason has stayed in the game. I dont think it diminishes Means no hitter. 

Mike Elias was on 105.7 the Fan this morning.  He was on a plane on the back from a scouting trip when Means was pitching his no hitter.  He could not get the video on the plane.  Sounds like he was following it on Gameday.   One of his comments was "that will take years off your life".

https://www.audacy.com/1057thefan/authors/big-bad-morning-show

16 hours ago, SteveA said:

I was at work following it on GameDay, and especially early on I was trying to get some work done so wasn't hanging on every pitch. (Later I gave up trying to work, couldn't help it).  And what seemed to impress me was how fast he was working.  I'd go away from the he for what felt like a minute or two and it seemed like a whole half inning had gone by.

I'm really looking forward to watching this tomorrow.

Work fast, throw strikes, throw a no hitter.  On the day Ray Miller passed, no less. I found that to be special. 

2 hours ago, jabba72 said:

An argument could be made to get rid of the passed ball-strikeout rule, since it really does make little sense. Its an oddity that for some reason has stayed in the game. I dont think it diminishes Means no hitter. 

It is one of the dumbest rules in sports.

You still get credit for a K but it’s not actually an out.  Stupid.

Too bad they are going with a bullpen game on Saturday rather than keeping all the starters on regular rest.

Would love to see Means pitch on Monday at Camden Yards, but with the bullpen game he gets pushed to Tuesday at Citi Field.

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

Too bad they are going with a bullpen game on Saturday rather than keeping all the starters on regular rest.

Would love to see Means pitch on Monday at Camden Yards, but with the bullpen game he gets pushed to Tuesday at Citi Field.

With all the pitches he threw yesterday, i was thinking it may be best to give him the extra day.  Glad to see they are doing that.  

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

With all the pitches he threw yesterday, i was thinking it may be best to give him the extra day.  Glad to see they are doing that.  

And that decision was made before the no hitter.   Hyde announced the Boston rotation with a TBA on Saturday earlier in the afternoon yesterday.

But I agree, it's definitely a good idea now that Means pitched as much as he did.